Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Funtanna X-50. SFG's Y/N

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Funtanna X-50. SFG's Y/N

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:55 PM
masonman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtanna X-50. SFG's Y/N

I Put the SFG's on the wing tips of my funtanna today. I must say it makes the rudder just scream with power. But it seems like they hinder a few other things. My rolling circles for one, are alot slower an look sloppy with these things. An two, an simple snap roll looks like its half asleep. Its almost like my model has an anchor behind it. They work great for slow low knife edge pases down the runway though. But thats really nothing i do alot.

I am takeing them off tonight. My question is has anyone had any luck with the SFG'S. An if so maybe you could pass me some of your tips to sucsess with theses things. ...........Thanks
Old 08-04-2007, 09:58 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Funtanna X-50. SFG's Y/N

I hate them. I had them on for one flight. Like you said the knife edge was better everything else was worse. I guess if a guy want's to sport fly his F50X the SFGs would by fine. I don't sport fly with mine.

In a small defense of the SFGs. My buddy has a Showtime90. They look terrible but I like the plane better with them on. Of course the Showtime is no 3D monster either.

David
Old 08-04-2007, 11:38 AM
masonman

Dave they were terrible. I had my plane loaded with some jr531 an they are good ol servos. then i put new futaba 3151 in it to try an speed it up an make it react with more athority. it did. But when you take the sfg's off it is real fast now. I'm thinking i may look up an old thread on here i seen about the s-40 an how to make the rudder larger. Cause i really like the power of the rudder with those things on there. but i don't like how it afects the rest of the models performance. Have you been around one of the s-40"s with the rudder build up?. If so how was it..............Thanks
Old 08-04-2007, 11:52 AM
masonman

One more thing dave. Do you ever feel like if you yank a stick to hard you might break something back on the tail feathers cause they are built real flimsey. matter of fact i am wanting to get two more of those carbon fiber rods for the upper side of the tail. I think that might make it more solid. I just have a 72 swinging a 14x4 an would like to move up to maybe a 82 or maybe a 91. want a little more speed. but just not sure about the tail........
Old 08-08-2007, 06:30 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have never seen one of the F40's fly with the large rudder. Mine would knife edge but it was at a high AOA and a low throttle setting. Kind of like a Harrier knife edge.
The tail is plenty strong if the rods are epoxied in good. Mine pulled out on my three times on my old F40. The new F50X has a little different way to mount them and they stay in better. I did over a 100 walls with my old F40. As long as the rods held the stab was fine. I will say on it's last day it went in at a 65degree angle or so. Both halfs of the stab folded forward. The plane was toast anyway but the I have never seen a tail do that before.
I saw your other post on the missing rods. I have my old set still. If the other deal falls through send my a OS"F" plug and I'll send the rods. You could clean off the epoxy and reuse them.

David
Old 08-09-2007, 10:52 PM
masonman

I would be more than happy to trade you out of those carbon fiber rods.