Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Installing a tuned pipe on ringed K&B .61 Is it worthwile?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Installing a tuned pipe on ringed K&B .61 Is it worthwile?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 09:30 PM
WECoyote
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a tuned pipe on ringed K&B .61 Is it worthwile?

I would like to know if there is any noticeable power output from installing a tuned pipe on a K&B .61. I'm referring to the older ringed piston .61 not the newer ABC 'twister head' version or the other .61 thats available from MECOA.

Also, I was kicking around the idea of sending in one of my .61's to Clarence Lee for porting/customizing. I would like to hear from anybody about their experience with a Lee customized K&B .61 Did you get a noticeable increase in performance? What props gave the best thrust/vertical performance with a Lee customized engine?

Maybe a ported/customized .61 with a tuned pipe would be even better.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 08-06-2007, 11:37 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Installing a tuned pipe on ringed K&B .61 Is it worthwile?

you would be better off sending it to c.f.lee for a pdp porting jop,will increase power to that of schnurlt ported engines.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:42 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you do realize that a tuned pipe is only going to produce more power at one specific rpm with one size prop?if you aren't flying at full trottle there is no advantage to a tuned pipe.usually pipe poeting allows the exhust port to open earlier and close later.then you have to cut the pipe to you get a decrease in rpm then pull it out of the coupler about !/4" to get the rpm back.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you fitting a tuned pipe or a tuned muffler. As aerowoof stated a full tuned pipe will work in only a specific RPM range. A full tuned pipe will not work on a throttled engine.

Ed S