Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Smoke - again

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:20 PM
AlphaWhisky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke - again

I`m gearing up to try using a smoke system for the first time. A while ago I downloaded a very helpful article from here produced by MinnFlyer - all good stuff.

However, not being resident in USA, I am not conversant with and cannot buy any of the branded smoke solutions mentioned there and bandied around here from time to time and thus of necessity will have to brew my own.

Are there any surefire recipes out there for thick white smoke mixed from readily available everyday materials? What about coloured smoke - are there any recipes for that?

Also, where can I obtain a non-return valve specified to be included in the system?

Alan W
Old 08-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Valve floater

Default RE: Smoke - again

Hello, Read what`s the best smoke system for my Saito 72. 2nd page thread. You have to go with a 3 line tank system out of your tank. Tried the kwik fueler valve for gas. Does not work long. The oil is thicker than gas and the valve won`t seat properly after filling. Leaks air after a while.Have a filler pipe, then beather pipe routed under the plane, then the supply line to your pump. More work, less headache. Super dry aviation is the best oil. smokes clean.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:16 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Alan, there are some recipes for smoke oil, about the most common is 2/3 Diesel Fuel and 1/3 Automatic Transmission Fluid - I have heard that adding some sort of parting agent used in the concrete industry is good also.

But the problem with these is the smell - not to mention the fact that they will eat covering adhesive and foam.

But here are some links from Tower:

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAN64&P=ML]Super-Dri[/link]

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXG869&P=ML]Check Valve[/link]

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2007, 06:04 PM
AlphaWhisky

Thanks for this information. I`ve just placed an order with Tower for some bits and pieces including a Fourmost check-valve. They are currently out of stock with the Super-Dri oil, but I don`t think I could afford the freight on that even if it was in stock.

I`ve taken a note of the smoke oil recipe here, and also picked up one from another forum - 80% baby oil and 20% kero - I wonder how that lot smells....?

I`m intending to use a Zenoah G-26 with this and will set it all up on a test-rig in the backyard before installing it for real.

Thanks again.

Alan W
Old 08-17-2007, 09:29 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do a search here on RCU for smoke oil and you'll probably get a few home brews
Old 08-18-2007, 06:21 AM
brewski

I've used 50/50 lamp oil and baby oil and it works really well. Smells good too. Get the lamp oil for indoor lamps and not the kero based for outdoors.