Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Buy a New Engine or a Used One?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Buy a New Engine or a Used One?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:57 PM
roknHS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy a New Engine or a Used One?

I'm in the market for a Zenoah G-62............I know Chief Aircraft in Oregon sells new shipped to your door for $385.00...................thats not a blue light special only on Thursday price, they have been at that price for quite some time.........what should a good used unit sell for, based on a new price of $385.00.
I would think some of you gas flyers that have been around for a while should have some thumb rule you use as a guide............like when you are buying used auto parts from a wrecking yard........normally the price is 50% of new........Is there any general guidance you could offer someone trying to buy a good used engine............I want to pay a fair price, but if the used price is too high...........seems like it would make more sense to buy new.........no worries about how the engine was treated and you get the security of having a new warranty and some technical support from the supplier.
Just how much is a good used engine worth? Yep, I know that options complicate the question.........cup mounts, starter springs, after market mufflers and such..........shouldn't those things be priced at 50% of new? I'd like to hear from some of you with more experience than I have..............................
Old 08-18-2007, 09:03 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Buy a New Engine or a Used One?

depends on supply and demand,I have not seen very many used g-62's up for sale so I would seem demand is higher than the supply.I think you first problem will be finding one for sale
Old 08-18-2007, 09:48 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

A general rule of thumb is that a used engine in excellent condition is worth about 60% of new price. The real world, however tends to price more than this...if the right buyer can be found.

Then, you get into the "useful" lifespan thing, and you will find gas engines seem to last forever. It takes a lot more to kill a gas engine than a glow engine. Any engine can get "broken" through a crash, but it seems gas engines don't get near worn out from normal operation as easily as a glow engine. Ultimately, it is whatever the market will bear. You need to make the best deal you can.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:23 PM
chashint

Unless you have personal knowledge of the used engine in question then it is buyer beware.
The $385 price seems pretty reasonable considering what the rest of the stuff costs for this class of airplane.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:10 PM
roknHS

I think your right.........$385 seems quite good, the more I look around.
I believe most sellers probably paid the Horizon price of $425 when they bought their engines and now either don't realize or don't want to acknowledge that the new delivered to your door price is $40 - $50 dollars less.......In many cases, the classified ad price for a used engine is higher than Chief's new price..............so.............................
unless I find a low time G-62 for around $275 or less...........I'd be way ahead to buy new and let the uninformed buy used and pay more..........
Thank You Gentlemen for the discussion and the information.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:54 PM
pilot727

A used engine is just what you are paying for as it, you may end up buying two engines just to save a little money, when it comes to an engine unless i know who has broke it in and how many hours on it, i will always first buy the new engine. i learned when i first started in this hobby the chances are if it is being sold there is a reason for it.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I`ve bought 4 used engines off E-bay, paid 50% or less of new price. Saito .72 , ST Itailan made .61 and .75 and ST 2300 . All have been good engines. Maybe I`m just lucky?
Old 08-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

roknhs,

Contact Ralph Cunningham at RC Ignitions. He can get you set up with a G62 with electronic ignition with a cup mount, custom carb rotate block, custom prop shaft/hub, RCA Audio Cable comes out of the cup mount for the battery. It's a real nice setup and money well spent. I had Ralph convert my G62 and he does real nice work and really supports his workmanship.

G62 w/stock muffler and
Automatic Electronic Timing Advance - $525

Convert your existing/supplied G62
Includes mount, ignition and carb rotator block - $175

http://www.tompierce.net/190/html/building/RCign.htm

Old 08-20-2007, 06:52 PM
pilot727

There are some really nice engines out there that are used and in great shape, you can get a good buy at a low price and specially if you know the guy that you are buying it from and most important is that you know your engines and you yourself can tell what shape there in, zenoah engines have a good name and are of good quality, i just bought my very first gas engine and i went with the da-50, i have heard alot of good about them specially where the service is concerned, everything i have read about this engine has been all good reports as many other engines
Old 08-21-2007, 05:14 AM
TCrafty

From the other side of the fence.

My dad had a Ziroli designed Corsair that he scratch built and put a G62 in it for power. He built the plane many years ago and kept it as a hangar queen, never flown. He moved closer to where I live and we got the plane out and started the engine, taxied it around a little, then, it actually flew--about four times, by a good pilot at our field. Dad is a builder first, then a pilot and we were both too intimidated to fly the plane, so he sold it. He kept all the gear out of the plane, including the engine. While it has very little time on it, the cost of the engine has dropped since he invested his money into it. So much so, that with the lower pricing and the hit for being used (even very little), he just decided to hold on to it and build another plane for it down the road.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72095.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	746214