Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering technique for sheeted surfaces?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering technique for sheeted surfaces?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:08 PM
millerhill
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering technique for sheeted surfaces?

I'm about to recover my World Models Ultimate. Apparently the included pilot had a hankering for some fresh corn and decided to try harvesting a few ears while still in flight. Needless to say, I'm doing some repairs.[X(]

I have to recover most of the fuse and it is all sheeted balsa. I haven't had much luck covering sheeted areas without getting a lot of bubbles and wrinkles.

What's the technique for covering sheeted areas? I'm using Monocote.

Steve
Old 08-23-2007, 12:37 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Covering technique for sheeted surfaces?

Holes. Lots of them.

They do or did make a tool called, appropriately, the woodpecker.

Or iron starting at the inside and move outward but keep a pin handy to get rid of air bubbles.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Don41

I find that if I work small areas it's pretty successful. Iron the Monokote to the balsa and immediately rub it into the wood while still very hot (use a glove of course). I have been doing that with my Telemaster and it seems to be holding. Some areas of the plane have been Monokoted for several weeks now and there has been virtually no bubbling - doesn't mean it won't if exposed to direct sunlight though. Time will tell.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:04 PM
chopper man

When I covered my TF Piper Arrow I did as mentioned above. I started at the top and held the covering up and ironed it down as I went. I also laid it down with a clove on my hand to help it adhere. It came out perfect.
chopper man
Old 08-24-2007, 07:07 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

First, make sure the sheeting is absolutely clean and dust free. After sanding, use a tack cloth to remove any residue. Then use it again.

When I cover solid sheeted areas, I only use the iron at the edges. Tack the edges down about 1/4-1/2 inch wide. Leave a few small gaps that will allow the air to escape when the covering shrinks. Now use the heat gun and work your way from the middle out. Watch the covering closely as it begins to tighten up. Then heat larger areas, working your way out. When the surface is smooth and tight, while its still hot, rub it down with a terry cloth rag. This will cause the glue to adhere. You'll end up with a nice, tight bubble free surface. Finally, go back and seal the areas with the iron that you left open for the air to escape.

Brad
Old 08-25-2007, 10:27 AM
roknHS

Spray the bare balse/ply surface with Aqua Net hair spray.................you can spray 2-3 coats if you want.........won't add any weight. It preps the wood surface to adhere well to the covering.....................use the iron and glove method...........rubbing the covering down with a soft glove finger while its hot eliminates bubbles......and I don't think normal sun exposure will affect your covering job............emphasis on "normal". Prolonged direct exposure at temps above 85 degrees or so...............who knows.

If you really want to "cover" the bases................woodpecker it...........wipe it.........
spray it with hair spray.............rub the covering down while its hot.

By the way, the hair spray is just a sticky laquer...........don't tell your wife.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Don41

You bring back memories. On a recent build I first spray painted some of the balsa but was unhappy with the results. I then decided to use Monokote on the surface but I made a mistake and had to remove a section. The Monokote clung tenaciously to the undercoat.