Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Strange or funny field repairs

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Strange or funny field repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 12:47 AM
jdwiflyrc
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange or funny field repairs

In some of my field repairs I have used broken glass fiber props to make engine rails to remount my engine at funflys to get back in the air. I have also glued wooden sticks off of trees to hold sections together and used duck tape as covering material.

What have you done as emergency repairs?

Keep em fly'in, John
Old 03-18-2003, 04:14 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

A friend of mine duct-taped a rather large hex head wrench to the front of his plane below the engine as a nose weight......

Mike
Old 03-18-2003, 04:34 AM
CaMike

I've had to repair a verticle stab which required me to remove monokote from a large area...after a little CA and CA excellerator I was left with bare wood...so, all I had handy was a role of string reinforced packing tape...it worked pretty well...matter of fact, it is still the covering on my verticle stab...it's not pretty but it works!!

Mike
Old 03-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Kaos Rulz

Default Nothing too radical, but one time....

I replaced a lost wheel collar with my frequency pin (clothes pin).

Not the whole thing, rather, just the tip of the handle was cut off and a hole punched (didn't have a drill) and Zapped to the axel.

I once volunteered to supply food for three buddies at the flying field. Had everything for the hamburgers, beans, and potatoe salad, excet the paper plates. Turns out that when you rinse off you car's hub-caps, they make perfect plates.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:17 AM
Prboz-RCU-delete

Yeah in a comp of musical landing (first to the ground and stopped when music stops wins ) a friend of mine had a couple of fast ones (as you would expect) and ended up using duck tape to hold the 2 halves of the fuse together. By the way he went up 3 more times and won the comp. Actually he still flies it like that today.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:37 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paper Toweling fillets

After basically splintering my funflyer midway through a show, I effected field repairs. Unfortunatey, the structure in some places was to splintered to get any strength, and the CA did not slways stick to well. I used paper towl (Bounty brand) pieces. It forms nicely into whatever nook or cranny needs reinforcing, and when hit with CA turns to stone. It is great for laminating strength, spar reinforcement, and rolled tightly, it can even replace short sections of balsa stick.

My friends stood around amazed at the functionality at the paper towel/CA method. KEEP THE EYES CLEAR, this stuff smokes up a storm.

Mark
Old 03-21-2003, 07:37 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default A different turn..

To Marks method...

A cigarette butt..well the filter stuff inside it...and CA makes a great field filet. And it does smoke!!

Also seen paper plates (we must have had EDs ) wrapped around the LE of a wing and taped in place to repair a chunck missing from the LE.