Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Warped canopy. How to fix?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Warped canopy. How to fix?

Old 09-16-2007, 09:10 PM
7aso
My Feedback: (27)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Warped canopy. How to fix?

Anyone know how to fix this? The right side of my plastic canopy is warped. Before I glue it into place, I need to know how to tackle this problem.

I have included 3 pictures: 2 of them show the warp & gap, and the other shows the other side which is completely fine.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:22 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Warped canopy. How fix?

build op the inside edge so there is a lip to keep the casnopy on the outside edge
Old 09-16-2007, 09:37 PM
sharpshooter223

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess if you did it carefully, you might be able to heat it up, very very very slightly melt it, and form it back to shape
Old 09-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Valve floater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can`t tell. but does it lip off the edge of the correct side or does it just sit on the top? You might can hit it with a heat gun lightly to take the bend out ,while holding it to the correct position, then letting it cool to the correct position. The problem is that it needs to lip over the the wood slightly to attach 2 canopy screws or a little glue. if not as soon as you get to the field the sun will heat it up and then it will warp. I would put a shimmy of balsa strip on the whole side length of the canopy on that lower edge on both sides on the inside to give you more to attach too, after fixing the warp. You may not have to heat it and stand the chance of ruining it. The strip may hold it even? Paint it to match.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:10 PM
7aso
My Feedback: (27)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

build op the inside edge so there is a lip to keep the casnopy on the outside edge
That's what I was thinking of doing. I just hope it doesn't show when I install the cockpit kit or interefere with it.

I'm afraid of melting it if I use a heat gun and I would only have one shot at it..
Old 09-16-2007, 10:39 PM
summerwind

Default RE: Warped canopy. How to fix?

the edge buildup is what i would try.
i finished a GP Super Skybolt this month and decided to heat gun a few of the wrinkles out near the canopy...........haha, i ended up buying another canopy, but i did try to salvage the original, and what i learned is this, if you don't have the original mold in which to work with, forget it................the heat gun did a great job of heating the plastic, but man did i end up with a disfigured mess.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:22 AM
da Rock

Default RE: Warped canopy. How to fix?

Heat gun on a canopy is not a good idea.

The plastics used are like the plastics in covering, when heated it shrinks.