Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Can I use Car 4.8v or 6v batteries in RC planes??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Can I use Car 4.8v or 6v batteries in RC planes??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:13 AM
ROBCAR
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use Car 4.8v or 6v batteries in RC planes??

Is there a difference in airplane VS car batteries? I see some intellect 3800's 6v for around $10-15 on ebay used and was wondering if they could be used in 1/4 scale GAS planes?Is the discharge rate different since a plane discharges slower than a car does? I am not talking about radio shack 9.6 volt junk, but real RC car batts. Thanks
Old 09-17-2007, 09:19 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Can I use Car 4.8v or 6v batteries in RC planes??

you are going to put used unknown history batteries in a 1/4 scale gasser??????????? bring a large trash bag to the field when you do
Old 09-17-2007, 09:21 AM
ROBCAR
My Feedback: (52)

Hey aerowolf, I was using it for an example!! I am looking for a real answer here, not someone telling me to bring a trash can to the field. Our field already has one.

Is this better? I am looking to use NEW intellect car batteries(to please aerowolf) In a 1/4 scale gasser.They were originally made for a car. Will they work?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:43 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Batteries are batteries! There are not any special "Car" or "Airplane" batteries.
If you want powerful and light batteries...get Lipo batteries.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:49 PM
WCB

New batteries are no more trustworthy than unknown history batteries. I slow charge then cycle new Nicd and Nimh batteries just to make sure there are no problems. I wouldn't trust my plane to ANY untested pack. I believe Jaka is right too.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Clint H
My Feedback: (1)

I'm guessing from the high capacity of the battery you're thinking of buying, it is for use in an electric car? If that is the case, be careful that you’re buying a 6-volt and not a 6-cell battery. Most electric cars use 6-cell stick packs consisting of sub-c size cells. They are designed to power both the motor and rx and can sustain a high discharge rate due to the size of cell. If you plugged this into your rx, however, the voltage (7.2 volts) would probably destroy the rx instantly.

If it is a 5-cell, 6-volt battery, your main concerns would be:
Weight--from the large cells
Charge time--due to the high capacity
and To use, or not to use a regulator? -- this question has been beat around in this forum many times, but, basically, a fully charged 6 volt battery can reach almost 7 volts initially. This can cause servos to jump or twitch. A regulator will keep the voltage below 5.5 or 6 volts.

You may be interested in reading the articles at MASportaviator.com: www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=2&ID=146

-Clint