Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass storage?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fiberglass storage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:30 PM
pancake
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass storage?

What do you do with your can of fiberglass resin to prevent it from curing/hardening before your next project? thx
Old 09-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Ed Smith

Default RE: Fiberglass storage?

IF you have not mixed the hardener to it, it will not cure. If you have mixed the hardener to it the resin will cure. It cannot be stopped.

Ed S
Old 09-20-2007, 06:06 PM
pancake
My Feedback: (2)

to rephrase , When i store fiberglass resin which is not had any hardener added it seems to last a short period of time before it crystallizes in the can. Is there a method of storing the resin which slows down that process. Would putting it in the fridge help? Similar to CA glue.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Ed Smith

I am guessing this is Polyester resin. There are many "Variations" of polyester resin it is difficult to knwo what you have. In many cases the quality is not the greatest. Some of them even have additives to lengthen the shelf life. The polyester resins available in hardware and automotive stores are of dubious quality. Purchase composite materials from a composite supply store.

Polyester resin should not be allowed in a domestic environment. The hardener is extremely dangerous. The tiniest drop in the eye WILL destroy thet eye. IT CANNOT BE WASHED OUT QUICK ENOUGH!!

Ed S
Old 09-20-2007, 09:02 PM
sharpshooter223

is polyester resin what epoxy is? how many different resins are there for fiberglass
Old 09-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

is polyester resin what epoxy is? how many different resins are there for fiberglass

No. Polyester resin is completely different from epoxy.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:45 AM
rjmods
My Feedback: (7)

Hi, All polyester resins have an additive "cobolt" in it. This is preadded during the manufacturing stage but the greater the amount then the shorter its shelf life. The other side of the coin is those resins with more cobolt will also cure more rapidly