Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

RTV silicone???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

RTV silicone???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:50 PM
ictbu
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RTV silicone???

I am building a new slow flyer kit and the instructions are asking for "RTV Silicone" I can't find any anywhere. What it is?? Is there some equivilent that I could get at the hardware store or something??

Thanks

Darin
Old 09-21-2007, 10:58 PM
mimhoff
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: RTV silicone???

ictbu---

Try an autoparts store like "AutoZone" -- Wal-MArt may even have it in their automotive aisle not sure. I use the red hi-temp type on all my exhaust.

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...one_Gasket.htm

Mark
Old 09-21-2007, 10:59 PM
greyfoxx

Check your local automotive parts store, NAPA, Advance Auto Parts, Auto Zone, or O'Reiley's. RTV Silicone is an automotive silicone that GM and other auto manufactures used for valve cover gaskets, transmission and engine oil pan gaskets back in the mid 80'S. A hardware store might have it, but the automotive parts stores are much more likely to have it. It is a blue silicone that is made for high temperature and is made by 3M, and is packaged in a blue box.

But whatever you do, don't ever forget; "Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first and the lesson some time later!"

Phillip
Old 09-21-2007, 11:01 PM
ictbu
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks guys. I'll try auto zone in the morning.

Darin
Old 09-24-2007, 08:25 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

RTV is "Room Temperature Vulcanization" meaning it cures at room temperature. Just about every hardware store, auto parts store, craft store or department store sells it - heck they even sell it at the grocery store. It is sold under numerous labels Permatex and GE are just two that I can think of right now. There are some differences in formulation for automotive, hi temp or general sealing applications, etc. such as in your bathroom (silicone tub and tile caulk). For R/C, unless you are attempting to seal something on your engine, use basic silicone sealer such as tub and tile caulk. You most commonly can get it in clear or white. The cure is what is known as "hydrophilic" meaning it absorbs water during cure - so you can accelerate the cure time by keeping it damp. You do not really need to know all this, the bottom line is you just need to find the small tube of silicone sealer/caulk in a card pack at your local store. Apply as directed and let it cure (overnight). Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 09-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be very cautious in using any of the silicons around electronic equipment. When it cures it secretes a very caustic vapor which readily corrodes any electronics. If you get that vinigary smell when it is curing, it will cause severe corrosion on any electronics exposed to the vapors. After it is cured, no problem, just do not have your radio and servos installed when you apply the silicon. There are some silicon products that have been specifically manufactured to use in areas where electrical equipment is used, they do not have the vinigary smell when curing.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:54 AM
bigchap

i didn't know about the vapor problem,i've been securing esc's with it for ages!
Old 09-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Newc

Be very cautious in using any of the silicons around electronic equipment. When it cures it secretes a very caustic vapor which readily corrodes any electronics. If you get that vinigary smell when it is curing, it will cause severe corrosion on any electronics exposed to the vapors.
Absolutely correct! The odor you are smelling is acetic acid which is the cause of the corrosion. It is such a problem that GM quit using this type of RTV Silicone a number of years ago (on oil pan gaskets and valve cover gaskets) when they learned that its use caused rusting of internal engine parts.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:15 PM
rc-plane

Walmart found it a couple weeks ago for a plane!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:49 AM
jetmech05

aqurium sealant is RTV
another name for acetic acid...vinigar. so its not caustic to skin.