Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Attaching a cowl - screws or magnets?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Attaching a cowl - screws or magnets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:16 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attaching a cowl - screws or magnets?

I'm working on mounting the cowl on my Citabria and need to make a choice..

I've built a plate with CF alignment dowels that will be epoxied into the cowl.
Now the question is do I use Neodymium magnets or a simple pair of 4-40 screws to attach it to the firewall?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57661.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	767913  
Old 09-22-2007, 10:34 PM
rcuman

Default RE: Attaching a cowl - screws or magnets?

I would think magnets would work ok. There is some ply glued to the inside of the cowl so that it does not push back towards the rear of the plane. The wind resistance as well as the engine would keep it from flying off. I do not see anything wrong using magnets.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:43 PM
RICMOD5634

If it was me I'd use screws! I've have two elec.s where the canope was suppose to be held on with magnets, and they both failed in flight/. I have since added screws and now they stay on. I don't know who came up with this magnet idea, but I think it stinks!!!!!!JMHO
Old 09-22-2007, 10:48 PM
rcuman

The canopy I could see coming off in flight because there is nothing supporting it in the rear from the force of the wind. A little wind can get under the canopy with enough force to lift it off. I have had this problem with a screwed in canopy on my TF P-47. The dang pilot tried to bail out on me. Needlsss to say he was well disciplined for his actions because I lost the canopy and had to order a new one.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:46 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good work and good idea with those pins.

all that done, just one screw or bolt ought to give you piece of mind that the sucker won't slide forward on a downline and foul the prop (or the prop FOUL the cowl).

And since you've done something that makes external screws unnecessary, put the screw inside the cowl. A bit of bother at times, but it's just a decision for someone who cares about the looks versus the bother.

nice idea
Old 09-24-2007, 10:03 AM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

I decided to go with the 4-40 screws and blind nuts in the firewall.
Mostly because the clearance between the prop and cowl is about 1/16" and I know the screws will keep it snug on the firewall.
The 2nd reason is I can't find the pack of magnets I bought. and the screws were right there ready to go..
Some days I just like to see some progress.

It's easy to remove.. The screws are a straight shot through the cowl air intakes.
I got the blind nuts in and epoxied the plate into the cowl last night.. It works great.

I'll find other uses for the magnets like holding the cockpit window open and closed or other small hatches.