Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

FWIW... what I learned today.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

FWIW... what I learned today.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 02:26 PM
spiral_72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FWIW... what I learned today.

For the information of a flyer/beginner wanting to squeeze a bit of performance out of their plane:

Saturday I did a bunch of work on my Eagle 63 trainer. On the list to-do was apply Monocote to the hinge gaps as curiosity more than anything. I'd read about this trick, but really didn't know what to expect. I thought I'd give it a shot. I ironed on a 1-1/4" stip on either side of the hinge gap on my tail feathers, just like I read. It took me longer than I expected and I didn't know if there would be any gain at all on a trainer, so I took the quick way out and used scotch tape on the aileron hinge gaps. I figured if it worked I pull the tape, clean it and use the monocote there too.

I gotta chance to fly her yesterday. Dude! The moment the plane lifted off the runway I could tell a difference. It seemed like the airframe was....... more efficient or something. She just slipped right throught he air! More responsive, smoother, and (like I needed it at my beginner level) faster too. Before anyone mentions it, I would consider the gap before taping, very sufficient. There was a nice even gap of 1/16" on the elevator and less on the rudder ailerons.

I had no idea I'd get that much difference. Ya oughta consider trying it....

Oh, yea. If you're in the market for a radio..... spend the extra $100 and go 2.4GHz like I DIDN'T do. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I'd never been hit by radio interference before, kinda makes you feel pretty helpless.

R.I.P. Eagle 63.