Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

top flie paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:28 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top flie paint

hi
i can not find top flite olive green or red and it looks like tower is losing the line as is a lot of hobbie stores any reason why? anyway can i use a paint that home depot or lowies sell on top of topfilte paint that is on the plane allready thanks rye
Old 09-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: top flie paint

ORIGINAL: rye

hi
i can not find top flite olive green or red and it looks like tower is losing the line as is a lot of hobbie stores any reason why?

Many people are not happy with the way the paint sprays and the fact that it often times is not even close to the color of the Monokote film.

anyway can i use a paint that home depot or lowies sell on top of topfilte paint that is on the plane allready\

I strongly suggest doing a test panel 1st. Paint some Lusterkote on it and let it dry, then put some of the other paint over it and see if there is a reaction.

In THEORY, you should be OK. From what I have read, Lusterkote is a lacquer type/base paint. If so, an enamel SHOULD go over it with no problems.

What ever type of paint you decide to use I suggest giving it a mist coat 1st and let it completely dry, then if everything is OK, put your finish coats on.

Be advised that unless you are using a 2 part automotive paint you will need to clear coat the paint to make it fuel proof. For clear coating I suggest Ultracote clear, or you can do some test panels using an ACRYLIC clear enamel for a clear coat. If you go that route be sure to do a raw fuel test AND an exhaust residue test (put the panel in the exhaust stream of a running engine for several minutes, then set the panel aside for several hours before cleaning).

thanks rye
Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi
can i use ultacoat red over topflite olive green ?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You SHOULD be able to by MISTING a coat and let that dry completely before doing subsequent coats.