Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Bomb Drop

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 05:09 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bomb Drop

Guys,

I got one of those cheezy Duraplane Durastiks just to goof around with and got the idea that messing around with dropping flour bombs would be fun. I could probably engineer something my self but if other have already done it....it would save me some time.

So, what a cheep and easy way to rig up a bomb drop?

Thanks,

Kent
Old 02-27-2002, 06:01 PM
pileit1

Default Bomb Drop

Well, for a plane with a wing attached with rubber bands you could do this:

Get a popsicle stick or similar narrow strip of basswood or ply and a plastic (not styrofoam) Dixie cup (or similar).

Cut slits in the sides of the cup just above the bottom, and slide the stick through.
Slide the ends of the stick under the rubber bands and you're ready to go.
If the cup you choose hase a very small base, you may need to use two sticks to form an "X" for stability. For a cup with a wide base, try placing the stick a little ahead of center to keep it from blowing over in the airstream.

For bombs, take a couple of squares of toilet paper, put some flower in the center, pull the corners and sides up and secure with a wire twist-tie.

Be sure to collect the bomb carcasses when you're done with your bomb runs!!

If you're using a plane with bolt-on wings, or a low-wing design, you'll need to be a bit more creative with your bomb holder.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:08 PM
TopShelf

Default Bomb Drop

Rocky,

Thanks, very simple and very cheap, just what I was looking for.

So then to drop the bomb, I roll inverted, right?

Kent
Old 02-27-2002, 06:12 PM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Default Bomb Drop

Hobby Lobby has bomb drops for about $3.60 each. Check them out. Bkf
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4108_1495.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	3421  
Old 02-27-2002, 06:23 PM
TopShelf

Default Bomb Drop

Very cool, keep the idea coming guys

I also saw their "Jumper" product that is a box you rubber band onto your plane and open the doors with a servo. Looks like fun stuff.

Kent
Old 02-27-2002, 07:12 PM
iflyrc24
My Feedback: (5)

Default Bomb Drop

Kent
One word of caution. When making your bombing runs....at bombs away.... Don't watch the bombs!!

I have seen a couple planes go in after a bomb release, The pilot would be watching where the bomb would hit while the plane was crash landing.

DEG
Old 02-27-2002, 07:27 PM
TopShelf

Default Bomb Drop

iflyrc24,

Thanks for the advice! I can see myself doing exactly that

Thanks
Old 02-28-2002, 05:47 AM
pileit1

Default Bomb Drop

To drop the bombs you can use a couple of different techniques. One is to roll inverted. Another is to do an immelman, or a loop with an extended flat top to give the bomb time to drop out of the way so you don't hit it on the bottom end of the loop. Yet another is to pull up into about a 45 degree or so climb and then sharply drop the nose and let inertia carry the bomb up out of the cup. You may need to cut the cup down a bit for the desired results. You could spend a whole day at the field doing trial-and-error test flights. Just make up a box of bombs and take several cups and sticks and have fun. We usually have a bomb drop or streamer-cutting combat at our fli-ins. It's really a HOOT to watch!

Then again, if you're really serious about it, you could go with the aftermarket bomb kits or modify a plane with a bomb bay complete with servo actuated doors and release mechanism. The sky's the limit! (pun intended ) ;>)

Rocky
Old 03-01-2002, 01:51 AM
Balsa Duster

Default Bomb Drop

Try this web site I found.

http://www.northlandflyer.com/Tips__.../bombdrop.html
Old 03-01-2002, 04:54 PM
TopShelf

Default Bomb Drop

Balsa Duster,

Another simple cheap idea!

Thanks
Old 03-20-2002, 09:16 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

Default bombs

I use those plastic Easter eggs filled half full with floor. Works great and most of the time the egg is reusable. I also have a very lt weight bomb drop I designed(3 oz w.servo and covering). It is in TurboCad format if anyone one would like a copy.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:03 AM
LDaba
My Feedback: (2)

Default ***PULL UP! PULL UP!! ***

I saw a spectacular crash involving a bombing mission. This guy had rigged a plane for dive bombing. It had a bomb crutch similar to an SBD . It swung the bomb clear of the prop arc.
Well anyway, he climbs the plane up a few hundred feet and pushes over. Down it comes and the bomb swings clear and.....
CRUNCH!!!! He didn't pull up! :stupid:

Don't look at the bomb or intended impact area.
The Hobby Lobby unit works well and is reasonably priced.

Happy landings Tony
Old 03-21-2002, 03:37 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bomb Drop

I have used the plastic eggs too, I glued a little loop onto it, made a C shaped piece that I glued to the bottom of the plane, cut a hole for a servo to mount into the bottom of the plane, and took a little piece of wire and went from the servo to the C, when you flip the switch one way itll pull the wire out of the one half of the C and let the bomb go. get it?
Old 03-22-2002, 01:56 AM
easy2fly
My Feedback: (3)

Default Bomb Drop

A cool way to do it like in the website from balsa buster but without an extra servo. You can take any kind of cylinder ( pop can, used shampoo bottle) and cut the end off. Leave a little stopper on the bottom in the back once you cut it. If you have tricycle gear you can just rubberband this on and put your bomb it it. Once you get to the place you want to drop it, just go vertical and the bomb will drop out. im goin to do this with my trainer next time i go to the feild.
Jeff
Old 03-22-2002, 01:43 PM
Nick Hudson
My Feedback: (138)

Default Bomb Drop

I like the cup Ideal! You can turn a whole fun fly into a bomber squadran in minutes. We used to do this all the time, I don't know why we stopped. I once watched a Byrons Zero land full throttle because of watching the bomb! What a great crash!!
Old 03-24-2002, 05:31 AM
DougX

Default Another option

I bought a bomb drop mechanism similar to our moderator's suggestion above. This was a few years ago and I only had a trainer and a 4 channel radio. I rigged the drop mechanism to the throttle servo. The bomb would only drop when I gave it max throttle. This allowed me to take off at 3/4 throttle and fly over the target at any speed (except max). If I was going slow and zipped it to max the bomb would release before the engine had a chance to change rpm and effect my aim. It's still a neat setup if wou want to save the weight of an extra servo.

Cheers.
Old 03-24-2002, 06:10 AM
vegas mossie

Default Bomb Drop

I have a bomb drop on my trainer like the moderator's, and found it very helpful to put egg weights in the nose of the bomb with silicone. Not only does the bomb fly true, the silicone helps absorb the shock of impact. Good luck and good aim.

Loren

25 march 02
I also have a paratrooper that can be dropped with the same mechanism. Always a crowd pleaser. But watch out for the wind.

Loren
Old 03-26-2002, 05:48 AM
TIGER2PLANE

Default bomb dropper

Now If you could only learn to fly now . then you could get some bragging rights instead of crashed/////
all you others we do drop parachutes off of our ships and let the big and little kids chase them, and bring them back. This gits the family into our hobby. But dont drop them to high if you have any wind. one day the kids had to hike a 1/2 mile one way to bring the chute back have fun
Old 03-26-2002, 05:56 AM
vegas mossie

Default Bomb Drop

At least I don't use the runway to remove my bomb drop "skippy" And remember, you were the one who told me I was a crash builder!
Old 03-26-2002, 06:17 AM
TIGER2PLANE

Default Bomb Drop

That was rick that took off the bomb drop because he forgot to drop his landing gear on that trainer of his. only my cub has a bomb drop....