Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

I'm having a great day--question and answer story

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

I'm having a great day--question and answer story

Old 09-26-2007, 04:16 PM
nauticom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm having a great day--question and answer story

Greetings:
I hope I do not affend anyone here with this little story, but I believe we do not hear enough good things in our hobby that I thought you all might find the Q and A interesting.
Here we go:
Below is a letter i sent to Horizon Hobby/Jr regarding a servise issue with a number of their servo's. The answer is at the end.

"
Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Horizon Service Center
Attention: JR Service
4105 Fieldstone Road
Champaign, IL 61822

Subject: Enclosed are JR servos for service.

Gentlemen:

I have had a Flight pack of Digital JR 811 servo’s for some time now which I purchased along with a JR receiver and battery. Each time I try and use these servo’s in an aircraft, I get a lot of chatter from each of these units. It has been to the point, that I must always remove them from an installation and replace these 811 units with another servo to have a proper functioning installation. These servo’s have never flown in any aircraft.
I am returning these units as I cannot use them with any degree of reliability. The chatter has occurred on several different aircraft installations, and has always been remediated by another servo replacing the 811’s. The last attempt to use 2 of these 811’s was in a wing Flap configuration with total lead length of about 24 inch’s.
Please consider my request for some form of replacement units (analog standard servo’s).
I do not need five replacement servo’s per sa. Some analog servos in the 50 oz-in range would be fine. Please let me know what kind of replacement allowance you can arrange.

2. I have again, a new JR 531 analog servo, which I purchased several of for an aircraft installation. The servo which I have enclosed seems to be faulty;( the other units work fine)—I get a lot of chatter. I have tried RF line chocks, isolating buffer amplifier, etc and cannot get this servo to stop chattering. When I press on the control surface it deflects with very little force. This servo has never flown in an aircraft. The application of this servo was in a wing aileron with total lead length of 30 inch’s. The other 531 also is a wing aileron with a similar lead length of 30 inch’s and it is fine.
Please review it’s operation and advise. A similar analog servo of the 50 oz-in range is what I need.
Thank you for you review and support. I do not use anything but JR radios and servos.
I can be reached at "

Here is the answer:

Today I received via FEX-EX a package from the above. In it were 6 NIB JR servo's, Model 4131 premium servos, 90 oz-in torque. Cost: 0.00!

The discounted price on the Horizon web site is: $79.99 ea--almost a $480 value.
I was speechless. I called Horizon and asked to speak with a representative who I said how much I though of the JR Customer service, how I'm a customer for life.
I've had a great day.
I hope everyone has a great day. Go enjoy this wonderful hobby.

BobM
Old 09-26-2007, 04:53 PM
WCB

Default RE: I'm having a great day--question and answer story

I too have always recieved first rate customer service from Horizon. Thanks for the upbeat story.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't it great when something like that happens? Finally, a company that cares about their customers!! I didn't think there were any such businesses left. I may have to think twice before purchasing from one of their competitors because of the impeccable service. A good company like this should be rewarded with business.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:36 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey, Bob: If I send you a bunch of old servos and other clutter from one of my workshop drawers, do you think you could parlay it into a new, 1/4 scale airplane with a gas engine? You pick who to send the stuff to
You are one smooth talker and negotiator.

Actually, I've had a good service story regarding Horizon also, although it wasn't as good as yours, and I will ALWAYS prefer to deal with them and prefer the brands they support.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:54 PM
jeff1127

Or no questions asked.
I too had a very good experience with a different place.
I had a field charger that burned a brand new battery and sent both back. They replaced both the battery and the charger.

I had not even purchased the battery from them.

This is a great hobby with great people.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:51 PM
cfaw10

Did they give a reason for the chatter on the 811 servos? I bought 4 new on fleabay and had the same problem. No more electronics for me from auction
sites---Lesson learned!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:16 AM
nauticom

cfaw10:
No, they did not give any indication why these digital 811 servo's chattered.

To other responders, thanks for your comments and "feel good" feedback.
BobM
Old 09-27-2007, 11:46 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] For Horizon!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:34 PM
sharpshooter223

the only company i have ever had problems with was hobbico with one of their planes that just wouldnt work, i eventually got all my money back through tower hobbies including all shipping charges and got myself a gws slow flyer. i also somehow ended up with an extra wing. i think almost everybody who opens an rc company for this hobby does it because they too enjoy the hobby and therefore will be more willing to help out.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 AM
nauticom

I think this giving me all those new high torque servos is an evil plan for me to spend more money. Ha Ha, just kidding. Now that I have those 6 new servos, I might just get started on that CPM Corsair laying in the shop. Lets see, new Saito 150 or 180, new JR 9303 Spectrum. Hmmm, -----Hello, Horizon, I would like to order some new stuff------
BobM
Old 09-28-2007, 11:59 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Why not fix it yourself?
It only the pot arm that has to be adjusted. Simple!
Old 09-28-2007, 07:41 PM
mvallyman
My Feedback: (32)

Fix it yourself? sure , we can do that. But if were buying new stuff, why should we have to??
I bought a CA models ARF, paid a premium price and thought I was getting a premium ARF, NOT. It was a premium design and a premium flyer but it sure took more than I imagined to make it fit together right.

I too have had great service from Horizon and Tower, NetBox and Chief. I think these distributors know that some of their vendors dont make good stuff at times and its GREAT that these distributors do everything they can to make it right for us.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:26 PM
nauticom

All:
True to my word, today I ordered the JR 9303 2.4 Spread Speckrum radio system from Horizon. It will be used on my Ziroli GS Corsair which is under construction.
Cheers to all,
BobM