Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

magnum 91 xls break in problem

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

magnum 91 xls break in problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnum 91 xls break in problem

anyone out there,
just put a new magnum 91 xls in my tiger moth and went to break it in per directions. ran first 5 minutes real rich, left a black smudge on driveway. i let it cool down and went to restart. it ran for 30 seconds then quit and will not restart. when i rotate the prop it hangs up , notch like at tdc, and makes a clicking noise when when rotate it thru. anyone had this problem and what to do to fix it. any help/answers would be appreciated.
mike
Old 09-30-2007, 10:59 AM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: magnum 91 xls break in problem

Check out this thread, lots of good info!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_18...y_break/tm.htm
Old 09-30-2007, 01:07 PM
qldviking

Hi doesnt sound good there, seems to me that its broke a the pison or ring, maybe a valve. definately sounds like you got something in there that shouldnt be. had my old OS do the same, was a broken ring. I get it checked out fast
Old 09-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Magnum .91XLS is an ABC engine. You should never, never, never run an ABC type engine "real rich." They have a tapered bore and the top of the cylinder won't open up unless you lean it out and get it up to operating temperature.

Box it up and send it to Global Services. Don't call, don't e-mail, this will only delay getting your engine fixed. Send it in.

Read the instructions next time or read here on RCU on how to break in an ABC engine.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:36 PM
broke_n_bummin

Is it making a clicking sound or a squeek at TDC? Some ABC type engines, when new will squeek (from friction) at TDC until they're well broken in.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:24 PM
WMB

The black smug may be aluminum piston material ground off the piston. It may not run due to a glow plug fouled with aluminum. The clicking is probably rod/crank/pin clearance, may be normal, may be a problem. I'd try a new glow plug first, lean out so its not so rich. If it is still not right, send it in.
good luck