Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:39 PM
WSL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel question

I have been told by another flier that he uses 2 stroke fuel in his 4 stroke engines. Is this a good idea? What is the differance in the 2 vs 4 stroke fuels?
Thanx WSL
Old 10-03-2007, 08:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Fuel question

Not a thing. I use the same fuel in all of my engines, 2 and 4 stroke alike. I run Cool Power 15%. As long as the fuel hast 18%-20% oil in it you'll be fine

Ken
Old 10-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto. I don't buy four-stroke fuel.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:43 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The differance is in the past many and I beleve some still use a very low oil content.

Ys Specifically warns aginst the use any fuel labled as four stroke fuel.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:34 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like John just said, some 4stroke fuel has less oil content.

4strokes can often get by with lots less oil than 2strokes. So it'll be worthwhile if you ever think about using some 4Cycle fuel in a 2C to look closely at the ingredient percentages.

I saw one jug of 4C fuel some years ago that had a sticker on it that said, "For 4-cycle only". (But it had gotten oily and was about to fall off. So don't bet on being warned about the low oil content stuff with any labels.)
Old 10-04-2007, 05:51 AM
huggins

I don't pay any attention to 2/4 stroke designations. If you talk to the various fuel manufacturers, you will get a wide range of theories for what 2 and 4 stroke fuel is. It will become quite clear that it is not quite clear! Fuel is made up of methanol, nitro and oil at various percentages of each. The oil may be castor (not very common anymore), synthetic, or a blend of the two. Use what is appropriate for your engine. The general trend is to stay away from castor (or blends) in 4 strokes because it tends to carbon up the valves. I run 15% nitro, 18% synthetic in all of my engines, 2 and 4 stroke alike. Just make sure you tune your engine correctly (not too lean). I have read that synthetics are less tolerant to lean runs than castor (blends), but have not experienced it myself because of diligent tuning.

Mike
Old 10-04-2007, 05:57 AM
Dr1Driver

Be sure to run fuel with a synthetic/castor oil mix in ABC/N engines. Ringed engines can use total synthetic and lapped (are there any still out there?) engines need more castor.

Dr.1
Old 10-04-2007, 10:12 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may be able to ignore the designations, or the name of the fuel, but don't ignore the ingredient percentages marked on the jug. It they're not there, don't use fuel that says it's 4cycle in a 2cycle. Two stokers need at least 18% lube.

And there has been and probably still is fuel labeled 4cycle that contains lots less than 18% lube.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:22 AM
huggins

ORIGINAL: da Rock

You may be able to ignore the designations, or the name of the fuel, but don't ignore the ingredient percentages marked on the jug.
This is exactly the point I was trying to make. I buy based on the ingredients only, not the designation.

Mike

Old 10-04-2007, 11:26 AM
cfaw10

I've been running cool power 15% in my .46ax's. I have a gallon of 20/20 fuel (pink) that I was experimenting mixing with gas for a gas engine. Decided not to use it. Is it OK to run this in my .46's and then go back to 15%? They have both been broken in and run on 15% since they were new (about a year old).
Old 10-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Dr1Driver

cfaw10,

Sure. The extra nitro won't hurt your engines at all.

Dr.1