Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

On board ignition system/glo driver

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

On board ignition system/glo driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On board ignition system/glo driver

I'm in the process of setting up a twin engines aircraft and figure an on board ignition system would be a good idea. There are a few available, and one for a twin cylinder engine for which the link is pasted below. It's from Tower, stock number LXRYK3.

Common sense tells me this would be OK for a twin engine (single cylinder each) application as opposed to a twin cylinder engine. Can anybody confirm that this would be OK?

This will be used in a flying boat with two RCV .60 engines, and with an idle of about 1500 rpm and 13 X 13 4 bladed props, it's going to want to head off even at idle. With an on board ignition system I should be able to get the idle down to 1200 or less I believe and thats going to make taxying/handling on the water a lot easier.

Thanks for any input.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRYK3&P=0

Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Flying freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: On board ignition system

I would think it would work but you would probably have to splic in some wire to make them longer but that shouldnt be too bad.

just a heads up i would program an idle up while flying so that when landing and when your on the water you get your 1200 rm but your flying rpm is lets say 1600 ... should also help and you probably wont notice the difference.. set it up on a switch
Old 10-11-2007, 08:02 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: On board ignition system/glo driver

Check this out. I have two of these and they work great. Low cost, simple set up, very light and reliable. The company is great to work with and you can't beat their guarantee. At this cost, you might want to consider two units or ask them, he will be glad to tell you what your best options are. (I am in no way affiliated with this company, just a happy customer.)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=314740