Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Engine mount and nose gear mount Q

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine mount and nose gear mount Q

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 PM
spiral_72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mount and nose gear mount Q

I bought an H9 Advance 40 with an Evolution 61. This is a new plane for me. The maiden went very well except for the landing. She had a flimsy two bolt nose gear mount on it that allowed a fair amount of play in the gear itself. I did some work and tightened it up, but I never shoulda put it in the air. Never the less, I poked out my firewall and caused general carnage when she hit a tree on the rollout. Dumb.

I replaced the firewall and have a new engine mount and two different style nose gear mounts. I guess I want someone to pat me on the head and give me the OK.

The new two bolt nose gear mount has me a little concerned. I don't want the floppy gear like I had before. The four bolt mount is off my trainer (RIP) and always proved a very solid mount. The four bolt however is in the way of my engine mount. So.......?

1) Use the engine mount as-is with the two bolt nose gear mount?
2) Use the four bolt nose gear mount and cut the bottom of the engine mount to fit and relocate it's holes?

As you can see, the engine and four bolt nose gear mount won't both fit on the firewall even if I move the engine up, which I'm not even sure what that would do.

And I should mention that the engine mount has a flat on the bottom to support the nose gear.

Thanks for the input.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44775.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	784501   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44459.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	784502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48311.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	784503  
Old 10-17-2007, 01:23 AM
mikenlapaz

Default RE: Engine mount and nose gear mount Q

instead of pat on head, consider a combination engine mount and nose gear mount. Lots of sizes and shapes.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=RF&search3=Go
Old 10-17-2007, 05:46 AM
Ed Smith

The adjustable engine mounts are questionable. When the mount is opened up for wider engines the wire hole is not in the middle.

The real solution here is to drill a hole right through the engine mount to take the wire. Get rid of the nylon clamp. The problem is that ARF's being the cheap things they are, the nosegear wire is probably not long enough at the top end to go through the mount. So you will probably have to purchase another one of those from a hobby store,

Ed S
Old 10-17-2007, 02:39 PM
spiral_72

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

The adjustable engine mounts are questionable. When the mount is opened up for wider engines the wire hole is not in the middle.

The real solution here is to drill a hole right through the engine mount to take the wire. Get rid of the nylon clamp. The problem is that ARF's being the cheap things they are, the nosegear wire is probably not long enough at the top end to go through the mount. So you will probably have to purchase another one of those from a hobby store,

Ed S
Well, thats a good idea actually. I won't have to cut the engine mount either. You're right, the nose gear wire is to short, but I've still got the one from my trainer.

Thanks for the info.... I think that's exactly what I'm going to do.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:55 PM
scratchonly

You can use the engine mount hole AND the 2 hole mount.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:11 PM
spiral_72

ORIGINAL: scratchonly

You can use the engine mount hole AND the 2 hole mount.

Yea, that's how I read it the first time, but now that I look at it, I don't think that's what Ed Smith said though.

I am going to use the two hole mount and drill the engine mount to accept the gear wire.

Thanks all, been a big help!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:13 PM
spiral_72

Alright last question,

The mounts come with a wood screw to bolt it on the firewall. This would be easier, but I'm kinda cautious of using the wood screw. Generally I use a machine screw and t-nut. Any opinions?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Ed Smith

I am going to use the two hole mount and drill the engine mount to accept the gear wire.
To do that the nylon bracket and the engine mount will have to be screwed in place. Then the wire hole in the engine mount will have to be drilled up through the mount using the nylon bracket as a guide. Check that there is enough materuila on the front of the engine mount.

Do not use wood screws. Use socket head cap screws and Tee Nuts.

Ed S
Old 10-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do not use wood screws. Use socket head cap screws and Tee Nuts.
What he said. Or machine screws and lock washers. Certainly not wood screws! (Or sheet-metal screws).

Nose gear is a pain. You can also drill only part-way onto the engine mount and use it as an upper bearing with the two-hole Nylon retainer below it.