Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What size tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:03 AM
djcmeeks
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size tank

I am going to get a Sullivan Skywriter smoke pump for my Ultimate Bipe and wasn't sure on how big of a tank I would need for the smoke fluid. I obviously want to add as little weight as possible but then again don't want to run out of smoke fluid mid-flight.

Any ideas?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:09 AM
DNR
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: What size tank

Which Ultimate Bipe are you flying? I put a smoke system on a Goldberg Ultimate with an OS 120 and took it out as it added a lot of extra weight affecting the flying characteristics.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Never don esmoke on a 2-stroke but it usually runs 3 to 6 ounces per minute on small gassers. You're blowing oil through a 1/8" hose with no carb or venturi to restrict. Runs out pretty fast.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:14 PM
djcmeeks
My Feedback: (11)

I have the Lanier Ultimate Pitts. Roughly same size as the Great Planes Ultimate.

I am Running a 4 Stroke Saito 1.80 w/ a Slimline Pitts Smoke Muffler
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15389.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	784790  
Old 10-17-2007, 05:18 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 14 oz tank on my Waco, pumping through a G-26. With really good smoke, it would last about three minutes or a little more. Don't know for sure what that translates to in a glow engine, but your 1.80 is greater displacement; it's the exhaust heat that makes the difference, though. For a tank that size, you'll have to worry about c/g shift from full to empty, unless you can mount it on the c/g. Also consider mixing the pump channel to the throttle channel, to increase smoke oil flow with increase in throttle. this way you can optimize the flow for best time and thickest smoke.

Three minutes doesn't sound like much, but you're not gonna leave it on the whole time. You should be able to put on a good show with 3 minutes of smoke.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:07 PM
broke_n_bummin

The Seagull Ultimate has a cut out in the fuse right at the CG. I use a 14 oz tank and I tightened a bread tie around the tubing to somewhat restrict the flow. I've seen other guys drill out a 6-32 screw and use it as a splice / choke.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:26 AM
Newc

How about asking Sullivan? They ought to have a bunch of experience with their pumps and various engine combinations.