Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

2 stroke to Gas conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

2 stroke to Gas conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:09 PM
jmclain001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke to Gas conversion

Ok, so I want to replace my .61 gas engine in my ALPHA 60 trainer with a 2 stroke gas engine. The only problem is I have no idea what size to put in it. The manufacture recomends the following for 2 and 4 stroke glow -

2 stroke - .61
4 strolke - .80-1.00

Any advice on how to figure our what GAS size to put in?????

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Flying freak

Default RE: 2 stroke to Gas conversion

unfortunitly thats kidna small, gas starts to do good around 40 or 50 cc the smallest i know if is a 20cc and thaat is way to much for that plane you wont have prop clearence and it would add to much wight ...
Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 PM
jmclain001

Got it, ok - that is what I was figuring. OK thanks for the reply.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:05 PM
kpm

what about this one?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=ZENE20EI
Old 03-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Flying freak

ORIGINAL: kpm

what about this one?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=ZENE20EI
Thats adding 20 oz to the front of his plane and one more problem he probably does not have ground clearance

If this is for a project or just to have fun and you have ALOT of experienced and are willing to take a HUGE hit in the power department (it would probably be adding 2 pound to your plane and using a .40 La) you can look at the bme conversion .90 http://www.bmeengine.com/html/point90.htm

Other than that if this is a pure cost thing and you like fiddling with things you could go to the engine forum and figure out how to run your engine on 50% glow fuel and 50% gas....

Steven
Old 03-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The return will not be worth the time, money, or effort. A .60 size plane is just too small to be practical for a gas engine.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you HAVE to get a gas engine--then get a BME .90

It's a LOT of money for a trainer. And it won't be too much power, if you manage the throttle.

I wouldn't do this if your just learning to fly. If you are a VERY EXPERIENCED pilot who has been in the hobby for years, and you just want a knock around trainer thats fuel efficient--I'd do it.

I have a TH .75 on my old trainer. I've seen guys put Saito 1.00 engines on trainers. The BME .90 isn't too much engine for a .60 size trainer. It's just a LOT of expense on a trainer plane.

Anything else will be WAY too heavy for the plane and will ruin the flying qualities.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM
kpm

Thanks for the information! I was excited to see this engine offered by Zenoah because they suggest that it is great for "most popular 60 size models". I normally fly glow, but wll start flying my first three gassers this season. (g-23, g-26 and ZDZ80). I was thinking that the ZENE20EI would be great for my four star 60 and hangar 9 p-40 in case I wanted to convert those to gas.

Do you guys think their marketing and specs are a little mis-leading by saying this motor is good for 60 size planes? The price is a bit more than the comparable glow engine though. I fitted my Four Star 60 with a Tower 75 engine and it cost just under a 100 bucks. Thanks again for the info.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Flying freak

I think they the power output is goign to be about the same but adding that extra pound and a half is goign to be a huge deal...

Steven
Old 03-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My smallest gas engine is the RC Showcase 1.40 and that's just way too much engine for A 60 size plane except for somethng like A CG Extra and that's A pretty big 60 size plane. There are just too many good/better choices of engines for the smaller planes. That ground clearence thing is A big deal too, smallest prop I have run on that engine is A 16 inch.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

according to the web site it doesn't say they are good for 60 size planes. 60 size WARBIRDS and 90 to 120 sized sport planes.

Its dimensions are especially well-suited for round cowl models like Hangar 9’s classic .60-size warbirds. The electronic ignition G20ei also gives you the cleaner, low-cost operation of gas plus rock-solid Zenoah® reliability in a package that’s small enough and light enough to power any .90- to 1.20-size sport airplanes.

all that aside a 90 size plane with about half the size fuel tank that you would have in a glow plane you might end up mixing up the difference a bit. Put the fuel tank over the CG and balance from there.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Red B.

Here is a high quality alternative: [link=http://www.webra-austria.at/motor.php?search=1067I&folder=AERO&lang=EN]Webra .91[/link].
The weight including silencer is 31 oz, significantly less than the Zenoa ZENE20EI.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:15 PM
mphowe

Sam I have a 4 star 60 with a Zenoah gas engine.The thing is great. I cut off the frount of the plane and glued on 3/8 ply. I mounted 2 servos on the tail with short linkages and mounted a servo on the out side of the fusalage for the carb. I'm running a 14x7 3 blade and stock landing gear. After adding a 2700 mah bat. the plane balanced perfict. If I land hard the prop will hit but i'm planning to get a stiffer gear and a bigger prop, yes bigger. The plane will hover but with this prop you can't pull out with athority. I'm planning on converting all my 60 size planes to this set up. You can't beat gas for the cost and ease of operation.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Red B.

Here is a high quality alternative: [link=http://www.webra-austria.at/motor.php?search=1067I&folder=AERO&lang=EN]Webra .91[/link].
The weight including silencer is 31 oz, significantly less than the Zenoa ZENE20EI.

Nice looking conversion, I can see quite a few different planes I would like to install it in!!