Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

airplane to helicopter some ideas

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

airplane to helicopter some ideas

Old 10-27-2007, 01:45 AM
fozjared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airplane to helicopter some ideas

just want to get an idea from some of you guys who fly both as to which do you feel is most difficult, the heli or the plane which was most difficult to learn etc. btw have any of you seen any footage of the 5 year old justin chi flying 3d heli's? he is amazing and was flying as early as 3, doing 3d at four!! it is fascinating to see him fly he is so tiny but he throws that big heli around 3d style with ease it seems! anyway how difficult is the transition? ive tried heli's on sims and i cant ever seem to get them trimmed right before i crash and give up bc it is no fun, but i might just have to make myself stick to it.. i really would like to learn heli's and i would go electric to video some areas that i hunt alot. but i dont know if i can handle all of the axis that must be controlled but maybe it is simpler than i think, which is why i am asking what you guys think is more difficult.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:33 AM
rcmiket

Default RE: airplane to helicopter some ideas

Helicopters hands down. I've been flying planes for about 15 years. Everything from small electrics to 1/3 scale. I even built a C-130 that was easy compared to rotors. Picked up a CX2 about a year ago and I was hooked. Then A CP Pro (junk). Moved into a T Rex 450 V2 and fell in love. I'm not real good yet I can hover and do some very basic maneuvers but I have never had so much fun learning. Planes offer a small window where you can relax while flying. Helicopters demand your full attention at all times. The electric helicopter has come a long way and as drawn a lot of us fixed wing guys. If your interested jump over to the electric helicopter forum here on RCU tons of info from a great bunch of guys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39990.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	791397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55937.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	791398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di11193.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	791399  
Old 10-27-2007, 07:57 AM
telejojo

I am am learning to fly helis but I still love to fly and build my airplanes.I think helis are harder to learn and fly but if you have a sim it makes it a lot easier.To me airplanes have more character and looks p-51,p-38, etc. where as helis all look the same. But I like them both and will fly both and have fun which is why I do it to begin with............
Old 10-27-2007, 08:48 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

ORIGINAL: telejojo

.To me airplanes have more character and looks p-51,p-38, etc. where as helis all look the same. ....
Whats up with that?

Name:	Lj23605.jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	791415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80280.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	791416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13366.jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	791417  
Old 10-27-2007, 08:59 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Man i was learning to fly helis and got good enough to fly side to side forward and back. Then i decided after you lift off it's all work after that without a seconds rest until you touchdown so i gave it up.
Pat
Old 10-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Flying freak

Iv got some experince with planes and i got a cheap heli the heli is almost impossible but this may be for several reasons,

1. its junk

2 the tail "wiggels" dont know hwo to describe it its like the gyro is messed up or somthin as even with the left stick advanced and the heli still on the groun the gyro corrections are NOT smothe they give on large shot then it startst to slid then they give another "hit"

3. i fall back to airplane basics when i get in troulble and that really doesnt help

So that my experince

While im at it doesnt anyone know what this thign is really called?

Name:	Yw68522.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	791733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96776.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	791734  
Old 10-27-2007, 08:23 PM
dignlivn

ORIGINAL: BankYank

after you lift off it's all work after that without a seconds rest until you touchdown so i gave it up.
Pat

It is not easy. Your eyes and brain get no break, while flying or hovering.
It is addicting though.

Enjoy !

Bob

dignlivn
Old 10-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Helis are cool. Learn to hover with your tail pointed at you first. This is a good place to start . A good sim well save you bucks.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:46 AM
rcmiket

They will teach you rudder control. Most guys don't know what that stick does after he wheels leave the ground. Helicopters have made me a smother flyer.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:18 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

I've had a much easier time learning to fly my heli(JR Venture 50) than I did my trainer plane. I have to admit though I had about 40 hours of sim practice before flying the heli vs. a couple of hours on the sim with planes. I'm now a heli addict but I'll never give up planes, I'm still looking for a triplane that can 3D, I guess I'll have to modify a Fokker Dr1 to my likings.

There's a lot of videos on heli builds and heli's aren't as intimidating to me as they used to be. Helifreak.com (look for the video section)is a good site with lots of build/setup on helis and the TX's.