Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

heli engine for airplane use?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

heli engine for airplane use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:48 AM
fheppenheimer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heli engine for airplane use?

What's the difference between heli and airplane engines of similar displacement? Can a heli engine be used successfully in an airplane? (I was looking at a YS heli engine (50) and wondering if it could replace an OS 55AX or 52FS in a small pattern plane.)
Old 11-04-2007, 11:54 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: heli engine for airplane use?

This is not an authoritative answer, but I think you'll find the Heli engines have larger heads to promote better cooling. The additional cooling area on the front of the plane may cause the engine tuning to be more difficult. This adds weight to the engine, so when put on a plane, it will be heavier to the nose. Not sure if the output shaft is different between an heli and a Plane.

Brad
Old 11-04-2007, 01:55 PM
killerG
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: heli engine for airplane use?

It can be done. I have put an OS 50 Hyper on a Bobcat 50. The weight of the head will be a little more, but not that much. The biggest problem is that heli motors run richer than airplane motors. This is mostly a problem on idle to about 1/2 throttle. It will run very rich in that range. Other than that it will work just fine.