Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

To ubec or not to ubec

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

To ubec or not to ubec

Old 11-05-2007, 10:08 AM
rabbotts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To ubec or not to ubec

Hi all, i'm just wondering if anyone can help with this question. I have a Brio 10 with a 240 motor and there are several references to using an ubec. My question is, if I attach a 4.8v 4 cell nimh direct to the battery input on the receiver, is this the same as using an ubec. Or do I still need to obtain an ubec. And if that is the case,why has the receiver got a battery input. Hoping someone can help. thanks.. Roger
Old 11-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: To ubec or not to ubec

Hooking up a 4.8 volt battery to the receiver eliminates the need for a UBEC.

If the weight is a major factor use the UBEC as it will save a couple of ounces.

Check your ESC. Many ESC have a built in BEC circuit. If you are using a 3 cell lipo (or smaller, or the equivelant nimh pack ) the built in BEC is usually fine. When you go over 3 cells OR use more than 4 servos you should use either a UBEC or separate receiver pack.

If your ESC has a BEC circuit and you use a separate RX pack you MUST disable the built in BEC. The easiest way to do this is to use the tip of a #11 blade and CAREFULLY lift the tab to the RED lead (power lead ) and pull it out of the plug. Just fold it back and tape it to the wire. This way you can use the BEC at a future date if desired. This is ONLY for a separate RX pack - the UBEC needs the power lead.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 AM
rabbotts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: To ubec or not to ubec

Thanks for that. That has clarified it for me. Cheers. Roger