Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Radio still OK to use?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Radio still OK to use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Springer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio still OK to use?

I am getting back into flying after almost 8 years. I have all my planes and equipment but I am not sure if one of my radios is still OK to use. It is an Aristocraft-Hitec Challenger 720. It is FM and not PCM. I have 2 other radios that are both FM-PCM. Will I have a problem trying to use my antiques at a club field?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:19 PM
alan0899

Default RE: Radio still OK to use?

G'day Mate,
I would just replace the batteries in the TX & in the planes, & go for it.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto
Old 11-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Springer

New batteries are already on order. I was just remembering when radio technology changed years ago. I think it was wide band vs narrow band or something like that. If you wanted to fly at a club field you needed a newer radio. Mine were OK back then but I thought I should check.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Dr1Driver

If the radio is gold stickered or narrow band; change out the batteries, clean up everything, and go for it.

Dr.1
Old 11-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they were manufactured after 1991 (I think that's right) they will be narrow banded, if before that date or converted they should have a gold sticker on them. If that is the case I wouldn't have any problem using them after you replace the batteries.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Live Wire

Springer
The radio is good just one thing to keep an eye on, the pins in the module may loose contact and need cleaning. Mine set for a while and I lost a plane for looseing signal[:@] and I hope you are going back with the 9 cell pack they do like to drain batteries
Old 11-07-2007, 12:02 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Sorry!
But those old Hitec 720 radios were really bad!
I have been flying for 32 years now and when those 720 Hitec radios came onto the market (First Hitec radios to hit the market) in the beginning of the eighties I seldom found one that worked in the long run.There was always something wrong with them.
Many newcommers over here in Sweden (35MHz) choose them because they were cheap...and cheap they were.

So please if you seriously want to continue flying go with a good reliable radio like a JR and Futaba set (72MHz).
Or... a 2,4GHz radio from Spectrum, JR or Futaba, so that you don't have the trouble of frequensis.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Springer

The radio is gold stickered. I had been using it for a while and had no problems. I will clean all contacts. Thanks for that tip. I did order the 9 cell battery from Hangtimes Hobbies / NoBS Batteries. I ordered high capacity NiMH packs for everything and bought a new AccuCycle Elite charger. I have an Airtronics 7 CH PCM radio and a JR 7 CH computer radio also. I use the Aristocraft on my trainer and the better radios on the faster aerobatic stuff. I figured after not flying for years I should start with the trainer. I'll use less hefty trash bags that way.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:50 PM
BillyGoat

For some extra insurance it would be a good idea to have a service center give them a once over and a tune up.