Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Dazzler Tail Dragger question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dazzler Tail Dragger question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:54 AM
starfire73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dazzler Tail Dragger question

I am getting to that point in the Dazzler kit where I need to take care of the landing gear. I may want to scrap the main "piano wire" gear and go with a Great Plane Dural (40 size) landing gear. However, the plans show the wire gear positioned right at the bend between the main fuse area and the fuel tank compartment. This transitions into an angle, and if I mount the Dural landing gear so the axle is at that point, it wont be on a flat bottom surface.

Here's my question:

If I move the landing gear back a inch, to a flatter surface (thereby moving the axle back as well), will that affect the balance point of the landing gear too much?

I remember reading an article somewhere on tail dragger, main gear positioning, but I can't find it.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:22 PM
bla bla

Default RE: Dazzler Tail Dragger question

Oh don't worry about it, use whats supplied. You'll be landing the plane so slowly anyway... it aint like a normal plane.
And because of this I'd stay with the gear forward jive instead of back. It's a party plane, dragging it's tail alone the runway, vertical landings and touch and goes... you don't want ruin the fun by hitting the prop.
What ever you do, the motto with this or similar planes is to keep it as light as possible. No seriously.
The lighter the better. We flew comp' funflys year back. .32 to light weight .46' engine size. All up weight, ready a take off... 3.5lb... MAX! and thats was with normal servos batteries etc non of the mini light weight stuff today.
The lighter the better...Then they start partying.
Enjoy.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:34 PM
flipstart

I have built several Uproars of various sizes, used dural aluminum gear, main thing is to keep the center of wheels even with leading edge of wing. You can make a tapered ply shim if gear location is not at a flat area on fuse. Light is better but I hate the arf landing gear wires. Reinforce fuse inside with hard ply and T nuts.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:53 PM
starfire73

ORIGINAL: bla bla
The lighter the better...Then they start partying.
Enjoy.
I was thinking the wire gear might be lighter, but do the aluminum gear brackets help to act as a (sort of) side force generator? That might be a plus in going to them.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:51 AM
bla bla

Not at all. They'll contribute nothing, nada... only extra work.
This is just a party plane, old school fun fly. GP's answer to a Something Extra type of thing.
If you're expecting great things (as in precision) you'll be disapointed. It does what it does and if knife edge trickery is you're thing, choose a profile.
Build as is and see it a part of your learning curve.
It'll fly completely differently (not bad or good or simpler of more complex... just different) to what you've been experiencing
Enjoy.