Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

light over dark covering?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

light over dark covering?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:02 PM
starfire73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default light over dark covering?

I have only covered one model to date. And I see that the instructions to monokote say that you should avoid putting light over dark coverings.

I want to have a plane with either monokote or ultracote, insignia blue with yellow trim. Will the yellow look ok over the blue? Is one brand better than the other for that? Will I be able to see the blue through the yellow?

Old 11-10-2007, 05:17 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: light over dark covering?

Yellow is one of the most transparent colors. The wood grain will even show through a lot of times. You should make all your seems with the blue on top. The blue will show through for sure.

David
Old 11-11-2007, 12:59 AM
starfire73

So how do I put yellow strips on a blue back ground? There has to be a way... a work around.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:35 AM
jetmech05

remove the blue where the yellow will be.....or put white under the yellow....but the down side to that is weight and you have an area that is stuck above the surface that will catch your cleaning rag.....
Old 11-11-2007, 09:30 AM
starfire73

This is what I'm doing. I have a GP Dazzler kit, that I want to cover in U of Michigan colors/style. Don't worry State fans, my next plane will be in Green and White. Football is U of M, Hockey... gotta' go with State.

Bottom of wings, bottom of stab, and bottom fuse will be yellow. Fin, top and sides of fuse, top of wings will be insignia blue. The tricky part is that I want the helment design on the wings. If you look at the center of the helment, and split it, I want each wing to make roughly one half of the helment design.

I may just cover the entire wing in yellow, and make a big wing cut-out of the insignia blue, so the yellow will not be covered in the proper areas to duplicate the helment design. I basicaly looking for that blue background, with the yellow wings/stripes that are on the helment.

Check out this link if you're not familiar with U of M's helment design.

[link=http://www.mgoblue.com/section_display.cfm?section_id=185&top=2&level=2]U of M Football[/link]
Old 11-11-2007, 11:13 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

For something with that kind of detail. I would use vinal. Put your blue down. Then get a sign shop to cut out the yellow from vinal and put it down. The vinal will not bleed the colors as bad.

David
Old 11-11-2007, 03:35 PM
starfire73

ORIGINAL: daveopam

For something with that kind of detail. I would use vinal. Put your blue down. Then get a sign shop to cut out the yellow from vinal and put it down. The vinal will not bleed the colors as bad.
David
Yeah... I was thinking I might have to do something like that.