Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Large servo for throttle. Overkill?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Large servo for throttle. Overkill?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 01:49 AM
friz
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large servo for throttle. Overkill?

I am new to gas, so this may seem like a silly question to you all. When rigging the throttle on my first glow airplane H9 twist, I was amazed at how easy it was to actuate the throttle but a full sized servo cutout was in the throttle position. Another thing suprised me. All of the servos on this palne are very close to the control surfaces, but the throttle servo is buried in the middle of the fuse. Wouldn't it make more sense to put a micro servo right next to the engine and actuate the throttle with a little push rod.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:58 AM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: Large servo for throttle. Overkill?

you got it right frank
Old 11-11-2007, 04:31 AM
jetmech05

seems to me that a micro servo might be affected by the vibration of the engine...
Old 11-11-2007, 04:41 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

seems to me that a micro servo might be affected by the vibration of the engine...

If that is a concern (and it should be with some little servos) then look at the Hitec hs-225. It's called the Mighty Mini. It's not a micro, but is less than an ounce. And it has the torque of a standard servo. And it's only around $20.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:45 AM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: friz
Wouldn't it make more sense to put a micro servo right next to the engine and actuate the throttle with a little push rod.
It certainly would if the environment around an engine was a bit nicer.

Most servos are surprisingly hot fuel proof. But some aren't. And the vibration around the engine and firewall is quite different than the vibration felt through a servo cutout back in the fuselage.

So most designs consider the best location for the majority of modelers and take the safest way out. Just like they do when suggesting the CG location.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:13 PM
friz

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Don41

Use a standard servo (but use the cheap one). You may need to access the servo at some point in time so leave it mounted where you can get to it without operating on your fuselage. A standard size but cheap analog servo such as the Hitec 422 is only $12.50 at Tower.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:15 PM
da Rock

You know, the Twist uses aileron servos out in the wing doesn't it.

You save over half an ounce every time you use an Hitec HS225 instead of the average servo. So if you used 3 HS225s in either the 40 or the 60 size Twist, you'd save probably about 2 ounces (most standards are closer to 2 ounces than 1.5 ounce). It's worth doing.

BTW, a lot of micro's really don't have enough torque to handle the throttle chores if the pushrod binds at all. I've found the Hitec HS-81 with about 36oz/in torque (about $16 ea) to be about the low range for torque that'll work the throttle ok.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:47 PM
friz

I thought about using HS 81's all the way around on the twist. I have used them on large wings with huge surfaces with no problems. I was thinking of more like an HS 55 on the throttle.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:33 AM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was just looking at servos on tower hobbies site and it looks like Hitec just released a new servo HS-82HD or 82MG.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:57 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use older standard servos for throttle mounted at least 12 inches away from the engine and connect with nyrod. Don't like to put electronic gear anywhere near the engine.

Bill