Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What is the difference between a 14X6 pattern and 14X6 sport propeller?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What is the difference between a 14X6 pattern and 14X6 sport propeller?

Old 04-04-2003, 08:57 AM
lavneet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the difference between a 14X6 pattern and 14X6 sport propeller?

What is the difference if one says sport and the other says pattern propeller? I just got an APC which says pattern Propeller and it cost almost twice as much as the equivalent 14X6 MA sport propeller. Even APC has both sport and pattern in the same size. How do they differ in construction, performance, weight, RPM etc.....both - APC Pattern Vs APC sport and APC pattern Vs Master Airscrew Sport?
Thanks
Old 04-04-2003, 05:46 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not much. APC labels their props based on their intended use. The "pattern" props were specifically designed for certain engines typical to pattern (precision aerobatic) planes. There is basically no diff between APCs design of a pattern or sport prop. In other words, there is no reason why you couldn't use a "pattern" prop on a sport plane.

All APC's cost about twice that of a Master Airscrew. The "pattern" part has nothing to do with it. APC does NOT have pattern and sport props in the same size.

The main diff between a "sport MA" and a "sport/pattern APC" is the APC tends to be a bit more efficient and has better low RPM pull. The APCs also flex less than MAs, keeping their shape better. The APCs have thinner trailing edges, lowering drag, etc. Over all the APC is a better prop in most cases.

However, if you are learning and prop dings are a possibility, I'd suggest using the MA because they are cheaper to replace.

Cheers
Old 04-05-2003, 10:04 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MA are also tougher and can strike the ground and survive asuming the plane survives that is why for rough fields, adverse weather conditions, and newbies MA is more cost effective.

I have both MA and APC and like them both!