Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Covering help

Has anyone covered a balsa and foam 1/2 plane in Econokote i know it is a low temp covering but i am haveing problems with it not sticking to balsa wood and foam is there any builds that show how this is done from start to finish or just wings etc etc etc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Covering help

Have you tried Coverite Balsarite for your balsa? not sure about your foam. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB355&P=7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

IT is Flammable so foam is out but balsa it will work i was wondering what covering will stick meaning has a glue or what ever they use just peel and stick then use a blow gun or iron. I tryed that Econokote and it never would stick.it says to test on a small corner of the film with a iron at low temp and you will see what side sticks but it never did.I do not want to use a colored tape for foam unless i have to thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First off, what temp is your iron set at? You will need a thermometer to tell. A decent one is the Coverite pocket thermometer.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB352&P=0

According to the instructions you should be able to tack the covering down at 225F so to shrink it you will have to set the iron higher.
    Kit building is the fine art of persuasion. Please line up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not that I have ever done this BUT, did you remove the back from the covering???[&:] It dosen't stick to anything if you don't.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes lol Gray Beard i did remove the backing Oh yes i remember doing that a long time ago

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

3m Spray glue. spray it up and cover. i let the spray glue tack up for a long time (1 hour to overnight), then cover. i think it is "3m super 77"...available at the hardware store. that is what we do with our sloper delta wings like a Zagi. With foam, i like solartex for coveing, but monokote/econokote will work.
    -Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just want to jump in here and warn everyone that 3M Super 77 spray adhesive has changed their formula and it now eats foam. I ruined a nice set of cores finding this out.

Bernie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would say that the most likely problem is lack of heat, The pocket thermometer jrcaster recomended works great.

Austin
    May the fulfillment come from the journey, not the destination!http://faapiper.home.comcast.net/~faapiper/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the warning glad i didnt try that on foam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok Fellows: I have heard the same news about the change in the 3 M 77 contact cement formula. My very old can is still the old formula, but may run out during the next foam wing covering job. Consequently when in Wal-Mart recently, I found a can of Elemer's Multi-Purpose Spray Adhesive on the shelf at half the price of the new can of 77. Sprayed pieces of core foam, and it did not eat the foam. I believe somewhere read that Elemer's had this adhesive, but had not seen it on the shelf until really looking. For a cost of less than $5.- it is not that costly to try. I am going to use it on my Jack Stafford WEEKENDER model foam wing sheeting. Hope this info helps your build.

AERORICH73

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WOW old elmers did it again wonder how it drys does the materal turn hard or coat that has been applyed or stay soft could make a difference thanks for the info

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wow, thanks for the heads up for the super 77.
    -Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

acarter
    Your right its the heat problem and i have to add the covering does not stick right i got it to take but with some areas it does not stick at all. Can i use some GWS non flameable glue smells like a orange lol takes forever to dry to hold the edges down?the foam wing held just right but when i applyed to the fuse made of balsa! there is were it didnt hold to good some areas of the fuse did some did not as you can see in the pic

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk27452.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	819423  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This may be a good place to ask about experience with Solartex. I'm a long-time builder but have not used Solartex before. Is it necessary to seal the edges with clear dope, as it is with 21st Century fabric? The instructions say it is fuel-proof and cleans up with soap-and-water, but Balsa USA suggests polyurethane for easy clean-up. Has anybody done this?
    Thanks,
    John Agnew

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John Agnew,
    i love solartex. but i cant afford it [:@]. In my opinion, it shrinks well and lays down well. normally I dont think you would have to seal the edges, but i have a foamie Slope soarer (Zagi) and it needs help on the edges, but that gets slammed into the side of the hill at 80MPH repeatedly. I covered a friend's 1/3 scale Flybaby for him and we used Solartex. He ended up painting a clear coat over it because one of the primary colors is white and the exaust is starting to stain it. That is a gasser. there is my 2 cents on solar tex.
    -Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bump up the heat on your sealing iron in small increments. Also if you have the hot glove, work the iron on a small area, then imediately rub it down with the glove. If you don't have the hot glove take an old T shirt and fold it till it is small and use it to rub over the heated covering. Try rubbing it down (hot) before you bump up the heat.
    Kit building is the fine art of persuasion. Please line up.