Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:31 PM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering help

Has anyone covered a balsa and foam 1/2 plane in Econokote i know it is a low temp covering but i am haveing problems with it not sticking to balsa wood and foam is there any builds that show how this is done from start to finish or just wings etc etc etc
Old 12-02-2007, 08:43 PM
NavyVet1965

Default RE: Covering help

Have you tried Coverite Balsarite for your balsa? not sure about your foam. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB355&P=7
Old 12-02-2007, 08:57 PM
layback2

IT is Flammable so foam is out but balsa it will work i was wondering what covering will stick meaning has a glue or what ever they use just peel and stick then use a blow gun or iron. I tryed that Econokote and it never would stick.it says to test on a small corner of the film with a iron at low temp and you will see what side sticks but it never did.I do not want to use a colored tape for foam unless i have to thanks
Old 12-02-2007, 09:01 PM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, what temp is your iron set at? You will need a thermometer to tell. A decent one is the Coverite pocket thermometer.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB352&P=0

According to the instructions you should be able to tack the covering down at 225F so to shrink it you will have to set the iron higher.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not that I have ever done this BUT, did you remove the back from the covering???[&:] It dosen't stick to anything if you don't.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:17 PM
layback2

Yes lol Gray Beard i did remove the backing Oh yes i remember doing that a long time ago
Old 12-03-2007, 05:33 PM
dixielandsbigal

3m Spray glue. spray it up and cover. i let the spray glue tack up for a long time (1 hour to overnight), then cover. i think it is "3m super 77"...available at the hardware store. that is what we do with our sloper delta wings like a Zagi. With foam, i like solartex for coveing, but monokote/econokote will work.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:15 PM
bgerth
My Feedback: (2)

Just want to jump in here and warn everyone that 3M Super 77 spray adhesive has changed their formula and it now eats foam. I ruined a nice set of cores finding this out.

Bernie
Old 12-03-2007, 11:18 PM
acarter

I would say that the most likely problem is lack of heat, The pocket thermometer jrcaster recomended works great.

Austin
Old 12-03-2007, 11:23 PM
layback2

Thanks for the warning glad i didnt try that on foam
Old 12-04-2007, 02:55 AM
AERORICH73

Ok Fellows: I have heard the same news about the change in the 3 M 77 contact cement formula. My very old can is still the old formula, but may run out during the next foam wing covering job. Consequently when in Wal-Mart recently, I found a can of Elemer's Multi-Purpose Spray Adhesive on the shelf at half the price of the new can of 77. Sprayed pieces of core foam, and it did not eat the foam. I believe somewhere read that Elemer's had this adhesive, but had not seen it on the shelf until really looking. For a cost of less than $5.- it is not that costly to try. I am going to use it on my Jack Stafford WEEKENDER model foam wing sheeting. Hope this info helps your build.

AERORICH73
Old 12-04-2007, 08:17 AM
layback2

WOW old elmers did it again wonder how it drys does the materal turn hard or coat that has been applyed or stay soft could make a difference thanks for the info
Old 12-04-2007, 10:16 AM
dixielandsbigal

wow, thanks for the heads up for the super 77.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:28 PM
layback2

acarter
Your right its the heat problem and i have to add the covering does not stick right i got it to take but with some areas it does not stick at all. Can i use some GWS non flameable glue smells like a orange lol takes forever to dry to hold the edges down?the foam wing held just right but when i applyed to the fuse made of balsa! there is were it didnt hold to good some areas of the fuse did some did not as you can see in the pic

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27452.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	819423  
Old 12-06-2007, 03:34 PM
JohnAgnew2978

This may be a good place to ask about experience with Solartex. I'm a long-time builder but have not used Solartex before. Is it necessary to seal the edges with clear dope, as it is with 21st Century fabric? The instructions say it is fuel-proof and cleans up with soap-and-water, but Balsa USA suggests polyurethane for easy clean-up. Has anybody done this?
Thanks,
John Agnew
Old 12-06-2007, 03:46 PM
dixielandsbigal

John Agnew,
i love solartex. but i cant afford it [:@]. In my opinion, it shrinks well and lays down well. normally I dont think you would have to seal the edges, but i have a foamie Slope soarer (Zagi) and it needs help on the edges, but that gets slammed into the side of the hill at 80MPH repeatedly. I covered a friend's 1/3 scale Flybaby for him and we used Solartex. He ended up painting a clear coat over it because one of the primary colors is white and the exaust is starting to stain it. That is a gasser. there is my 2 cents on solar tex.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:41 PM
jrcaster

Bump up the heat on your sealing iron in small increments. Also if you have the hot glove, work the iron on a small area, then imediately rub it down with the glove. If you don't have the hot glove take an old T shirt and fold it till it is small and use it to rub over the heated covering. Try rubbing it down (hot) before you bump up the heat.