Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Why do most flight videos have music????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Why do most flight videos have music????

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Leemata
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do most flight videos have music????

Please!! Give us review videos without the music! Some of us actually want to HEAR the model perform. We love the sound of 2-stroke glow, four-stroke glow & gas engines. If we want to hear music, we can get that that elsewhere. Sorry for the rant. I feel better now.

How do you all feel about it?
Old 12-14-2007, 06:07 PM
BadSplice

Default RE: Why do most flight videos have music????

Couldn't agree more. Would much prefer to watch (and hear) a plane flying than a music video to music I usually have to shut off
Old 12-14-2007, 06:31 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree 100%. I want to hear the throttle setting.

David
Old 12-14-2007, 06:35 PM
2HI2C

I think it's a TopGun thing or something.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:38 PM
meaden

You guys don't fly listening to your IPod?
Old 12-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Whistling Death

I am with you. Most of the time the music they put up with the video sucks really bad.

You guys don't fly listening to your IPod?
No we have a boom box sitting next to the pit area.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:09 PM
meaden

I was kidding...I like to hear my engine when I'm flying. I'd like to hear the sounds in most the videos I see too. Not tunes I can hear on the radio.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:00 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Amen!!! The music always sucks anyhow. No future movie directors around here for sure. Let's hear those engines purr and leave the music scores to the professionals.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:39 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Its not just the demo vids, the homemade vids posted here have horrible music also. WHY is flying associated with bad music and rock and roll anyway ? Geeze. I actually must turn the sound off . Even some otherwise great vids are ruined by the music. Its like, "look how cool we are" , music. Come on, a bunch of middle aged guys standing out in a field and flying models couldn't be cool if Fergie was doing them. If its meant to be comical, then great, it is. But I think the joke is on them.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:05 PM
tonyL1

Totally agree, many a time i go to watch a vid, see (and hear ) 3 secs of it. If it has overdubbed music
i stop the clip, just cant stand to watch vids with music, even if its GWS Slow stik vid lol
hearing those little himaxx brushless or Large Gassers sing with the plane is all i wanna hear!!!
Old 12-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I`ve added music to a few videos to cover up some of the swearing and cussing.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Leemata

Wow! Glad to hear I'm not alone. I wonder how we can get the message out to these folks?

Terry
Old 12-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Leemata

Please!! Give us review videos without the music! Some of us actually want to HEAR the model perform. We love the sound of 2-stroke glow, four-stroke glow & gas engines. If we want to hear music, we can get that that elsewhere. Sorry for the rant. I feel better now.

How do you all feel about it?
Boy, I'm glad this subject came up. I really enjoy watching videos to see what other people are flying, but the head banging, rodent killing stomp them to death noise revered to as music that drowns out the sound of the engine is not necessary!. Please guy's leave it out. Or at the least keep the volume down below the engine sound. [] [>:]
Old 12-15-2007, 09:56 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, I must admit that I am guilty of doing this on my reviews. I'm not trying to excuse what I did, but here's why I add music to my review videos. The biggest reason is that I felt that it kind of set the mood for the video. I always try to pick a piece of music that "matches" the plane and they way it flies. Now in my defense, I've never used overbearing loud rock or other types of music that drown out the engine sounds. All of my videos have always been scored with jazz music that I felt matched the plane. Also, I always make sure that they engine sounds can still be heard. In fact, on a couple of reviews I've lowered the sound level of the music so that the engine can still be heard in the video. I didn't realize that so many people felt so strongly about having music on the video. I'll definitely have to think twice about doing that. So I guess I have to thank those that pointed this out.

Ken
Old 12-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Skinny Bob

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Well, I must admit that I am guilty of doing this on my reviews. I'm not trying to excuse what I did, but here's why I add music to my review videos. The biggest reason is that I felt that it kind of set the mood for the video. I always try to pick a piece of music that "matches" the plane and they way it flies. Now in my defense, I've never used overbearing loud rock or other types of music that drown out the engine sounds. All of my videos have always been scored with jazz music that I felt matched the plane. Also, I always make sure that they engine sounds can still be heard. In fact, on a couple of reviews I've lowered the sound level of the music so that the engine can still be heard in the video. I didn't realize that so many people felt so strongly about having music on the video. I'll definitely have to think twice about doing that. So I guess I have to thank those that pointed this out.

Ken
Ken, the way you are handling the audio sounds ok. If you don't mind point me to a link where I can watch them.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:15 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Also, I always make sure that they engine sounds can still be heard. In fact, on a couple of reviews I've lowered the sound level of the music so that the engine can still be heard in the video. I didn't realize that so many people felt so strongly about having music on the video. I'll definitely have to think twice about doing that. So I guess I have to thank those that pointed this out.

Ken
Some people will go to extremes to hear the engine noise. Four stroke engines, for example, are all about the noise, they are heavier, more complex, more expensive (than 2 cycle counterparts) and the dirtiest of powerplants (planes that land covered with and drippping oil, like a McD frech fry). Nevertheless they have commercial success tanks to their pleasant noise:-) If you do not hear your engine how can you gage how is it performing? Give us the model airplane noise back:-) Keep the music...

When I watch clips, I tolerate the music only for some seconds, then I kill the sound. Watching a mute model is no fun, so I end up never watching the clips in their entirety. I normally advance the clip and watch the landing...

It's all Hollywood fault. The Karate Kid blasted his music before engaging the enemy w/the F-16, and of course, Top Gun did it's part. I bet most of the modellers would prefer NOT have music in the background... Of course, unless it's a Merlin, P&W or Allison symphony...

Gerry
Old 12-15-2007, 10:16 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

All of my videos are attached to reviews.

Hangar 9 Sundowner - [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=929[/link]
Megatech Avion - [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=885[/link]
Sig Rascal - [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=895[/link]
World Models Super Chipmunk - [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=814[/link]
Model Tech Mach Racer - [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=745[/link]

Ken
Old 12-15-2007, 10:21 AM
daveopam

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Ken yours are fine. The music is on the back bround. If the music is loader than the engine. It is a problem. Maybe that's why I am resistant to electrics.

David
Old 12-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Leemata

Ken, I appreciate your reply. I checked out your Rascal review and can say that I can tolerate those kind (with music volume below engine sound). Please spread the word for us!!!

Thanks again!

Terry
Old 12-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Skinny Bob

Ken, I watched them all except the Sig Rascal, I couldn't get that one to download. Although I think you do a very good job the audio is still a little to load for me. I prefer the last on ( Mach Racer ) with no music. JMO

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to voice my opinion.

Bob
Old 12-15-2007, 11:36 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Nice job Ken. Your music is tolerable but I was thinking how nice it would be to have a little narrative of the flight characteristics while you fly instead of the music. I just like engine sounds I guess. So far I've never seen anyone do a flight narrative with their video's which would be about as easy as putting music with it. Wouldn't have to talk all the time just give highlights and opinions. The rest of the time we could just listen to the engine.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:50 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: fancman

Nice job Ken. Your music is tolerable but I was thinking how nice it would be to have a little narrative of the flight characteristics while you fly instead of the music. I just like engine sounds I guess. So far I've never seen anyone do a flight narrative with their video's which would be about as easy as putting music with it. Wouldn't have to talk all the time just give highlights and opinions. The rest of the time we could just listen to the engine.
Hmmm, I like that idea. I'll definintely keep it in mind for future projects

Ken
Old 12-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Skinny Bob

fancman, I agree, I think that is a good idea. Would be very informative for prospective buyers of that particular model.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Tall Paul

Putfile says, if it's not your -unsigned- band, no music!
And that's the way I like it!
http://media.putfile.com/Inflight-vi...-twin-electric
http://media.putfile.com/Inflight-vi...-lookig-camera
http://media.putfile.com/Fire-fighti...pter-Fire-Hawk
Old 12-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Leemata

FANCMAN I think you've nailed it!! I love that idea! A little narration would be awesome and definitely better than music! It would give a more personal touch as well as being informative as to the flight characteristics of the model under test.

Ken, PLEASE spread the word for us!

Thanks!

Terry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.