Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Building Table Surface Material

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Building Table Surface Material

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Fishin Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Table Surface Material

So what are you all using for your work surface on your building table/bench? I can't afford or justify the steel/magnet approach, I need to use pins to hold the plans and parts in place.

I've spent quite a bit of time searching these forums but without much success. Someone once mentioned an "accoustic board" but I haven't been able to find that post again. I built my first plane this fall on a sheet of some kind of building insulation. I donn't know what its called, but I'd like to find something better.

Any ideas for me? What to use and where to buy it?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:21 PM
jhcorsair

Default RE: Building Table Surface Material

I use 1/2 inch drywall on my workbench.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:40 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

I use 1/2 drywall as well. It holds the pins very tightly so your work is nicely secured to the building surface. I put it over a hollow core door - all up cost was $30. It seems to be nice and straight as I just maidened a plane built off of this table and it need HARDLY any trim..
Old 12-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Dr1Driver

My main bench is an old oak library table. I put a solid core door on top of that. It's dead flat. On top of that I have ceiling tile, the 2 x 4 type, backside up for a smooth surface. On that I attached a sheet of 3/32" cork.

The cork is easily relaceable when it begins to get damaged from building. Even the ceiling tile can be replaced. A light coat of contact cement holds everything together. It's a great surface to stick pins into, and the cork provides a little cushion for the plane parts.

Dr.1
Old 12-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Don41

For as long as I can remember (I'm an old coot) I've used 1/2" or 3/4" drywall on a strong base. My particular table is slightly over 4' X 4' so I have a spare 4' X 4' piece of drywall at the ready. It's been my experience though that you rarely have to replace it.

I've never actually tried a magnet board but I find it hard to believe that it can hold as well as pins.

I also keep adding to my clamp collection every time I order something else. The 1 3/8 and 4" Hayes clamps work well and for serious clamping I use the 4" Pro-Edge. Could just be me but I think those blue Excel clamps are next to useless.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after i spent enough time looking for one i got the 36" building board from tower.
its made from balsa and its really easy to stick T-pins into, they have other sizes too.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXVZ63&P=K

Old 12-21-2007, 03:11 PM
NorwegianCub

I use the medium size of Great Planes Building Board.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

LOWE'S CARRIES BUILDER'S BOARD - IT'S LIKE ACOUSTIC CEILING TILE, BUT IN 4X8" SHEETS. Sorry - didn't mean to shout!
Old 12-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Don Pruitt
My Feedback: (1)

I use ½ in. Gypsum board. I think this is the correct name. It is a material that looks like a cardboard type material but is compressed down so that it is fairly dense. I think that it is used for insulation. It comes in a 4X8 sheet from Lowe’s for about $13. In it’s original form it is a bit dusty so I paint it with a coat of latex to seal it.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: Don Pruitt

I use ½ in. Gypsum board. I think this is the correct name. It is a material that looks like a cardboard type material but is compressed down so that it is fairly dense. I think that it is used for insulation. It comes in a 4X8 sheet from Lowe’s for about $13. In it’s original form it is a bit dusty so I paint it with a coat of latex to seal it.
Don - that's Builder's Board. Gypsum is drywall.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:47 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I've used the drywall, but the acoustic ceiling tiles are my favorite. They're easy to push the pins into, but they hold fine. I have a 2'x4' Torsion Board work bench which give a nice stable base for the ceiling tile.

Brad
Old 12-21-2007, 09:36 PM
AERORICH73

Hi Fellows: I have been building for years on what was called in the past, Firtex. All three of my workbenches have 2'x4' 1/2" sheets. With concern for replacing these, I found what Lowe's calls, "Sound board material", in 4'x8' 1/2" sheets. I believe this is the same material mentioned already in this thread. If I remember correctly, one side was smoother than the other. Once the new hobby room is done, I plan on purchasing a sheet of this material, and make two 2'x6' sections for two of my workbenches. The left over may be large enough to build tail sections on while the wing, or fuse are on the larger pieces.

My old RCM Flight Training Course manual by Don Dewey on page 30, has an excellent fuse jig set of plans that could work as well as the magnet designed system for far lesser cost, and would look like a piece of art work if polyurethaned. Anyone wanting a copy let me know.

[email protected]
Old 12-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Fishin Geezer

WOW!! So many options. Looks like everyone has found something that works for him. Thanks for all the replies.

I tried the sheetrock on the walls of my shop. Seemed awfully hard to get a pin started into it.
I think the "sound board" or "builders board" is what I've been using. Wanting to try something different.
Not prepared to spend the money for the Tower building board. 3 ft, sounds a little short.

So, I bought a couple 2' X 4' ceiling tiles. I'll try that for a while, maybe with sheet cork.

Thanks again

Frank
Old 12-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Joe Allen

Fishin Geezer: I started building in the 50's. There is a board out there called Homosote. It is still around. Comes in a 4X8 sheet and is gray in color. Best building board out there. Had one in my work shop for years. Will last forever. Put plans down, cover with wax paper and pin. Build right on plans. Hopefully, you can find some somewhere. Good luck!
Old 12-23-2007, 12:41 AM
Fishin Geezer

Thanks Joe. I'll do a web search for Homosote and let you know what I find.

Frank
Old 12-23-2007, 01:26 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

I use a hollow core door with the homosote on top. The pins go right in no problem and no sore fingers!!!!!!!