Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Getting the CA out of the air in my 'hangar'

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Getting the CA out of the air in my 'hangar'

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:56 AM
bowlingbrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting the CA out of the air in my 'hangar'

I'm in the process of building my first kit in about 15 years. I have set up a 'hangar' in my basement. I was wondering if anyone has had any success with air purifiers and CA fumes? Is there any specific purifier that works best? Does it have to have a special filter? I can't open any windows because it is very cold outside.

Thanks!
Brad
Old 12-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Getting the CA out of the air in my 'hangar'

I think you`ll find that most air purifiers scrub the air of small particles. The CA particles are smaller than most low cost air cleaners filters can capture.
An Ozone gereator will work , but they can cause problems with your lungs too., but it will take the smell out of youe house.

The best way , would be to vent it outside , if you can. Stick a small fan in the window. I`m just in the middle of my 7th build and find myself using Elmers wood glue more and more. Especially if it`s an area I going to have to sand.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:11 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Brad,
I'm not sure of which filters will remove the CA fumes. From my experiences the best way to deal with CA fumes is to simply remove them. If you can set up an exhaust vent to remove the fumes you'll be a lot better off. As for myself, I completely removed CA fumes by quitting the use of CA in my builds. I build with Elmer's Carpenter's Glue and I'm a lot happier for it. I don't have to deal with the breathing problems from CA fumes and I feel that my builds have gotten better by starting to use Elmer's.

Ken
Old 12-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Insanemoondoggie

LOL , beat ya Ken.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:18 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

LOL , beat ya Ken.
[>:][:@]

Ken
Old 12-26-2007, 09:48 AM
sniperdude

i found out about ca fumes yesturday myself. im on my very first build and im in a small room. i was glueing the horizontal stab together and out of no where i thought i got hit with some cs gas from when i was in basic training again.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As Sniperdude discovered, even with ventilation you want to avoid those fumes. They can be pretty nasty.

Get a small window fan. Find the type that will allow you to choose which way the air flows.

I have one with two fans in a single unit. It's not designed for Basement type windows, so I mounted it to a piece of drywall and screwed it in place on the outside of the window.

So even if it's cold out, I can open the window and turn on the fan. The fan keeps the cold from coming in and sucks the fumes out.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:09 AM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: sniperdude

... out of no where i thought i got hit with some cs gas from when i was in basic training again.
GAS! GAS! GAS!

Old 12-26-2007, 10:22 AM
bowlingbrad

WOW! Thanks, guys for all of the great responses. I do have a window fan and I guess I will start using it. I did try using titebond and I got way too impatient. It just takes too long to dry. I'm itching to build, build, build. I guess waiting for the glue to dry is a lot better than headaches.

I'll keep you posted!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Insanemoondoggie

ORIGINAL: bowlingbrad

WOW! Thanks, guys for all of the great responses. I do have a window fan and I guess I will start using it. I did try using titebond and I got way too impatient. It just takes too long to dry. I'm itching to build, build, build. I guess waiting for the glue to dry is a lot better than headaches.

I'll keep you posted!
I know what you mean about taking longer, but if you work on several differt sud-assemblies at once , you still can get quite abit done using wood glue.

I use a little 5in fan , an sit it at the end of my build table to blow the fumes away from my face. My shop is big enough , I don`t have to vent to the outside.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:00 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another good way to avoid creating a LOT of CA fumes is to use it as a clamping device.

On large pieces, like a Fuse Doubler. Smear on some wood glue, but leave a void in a few strategic areas. Then add a drop of CA to those areas.

Make sure you allow for the spread of the wood glue as the two pieces are pressed together.

Now the CA will hold the two pieces firmly, so you can continue to work as the wood glue dries.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73552.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	834270  
Old 12-26-2007, 11:24 AM
Don41

I started back after a long layoff a little more than a year ago and I too wanted to use the "new" CA glues but I wish I hadn't. The first few months it was a lot of sniffling, etc then I started to have lingering "colds" and finally I found myself feeling short of breath and being diagnosed as having the beginnings of adult asthma.

As it turned out I finally figured out it was the CA glue so I tried an expensive breathing apparatus but that didn't totally stop the effects (and it was downright bothersome to use with glasses). I finally realized that I had developed a severe allergic reaction to CA and the only cure is to stop using it. Once I tossed the CA I no longer needed the breathing medication or the respirator. Hopefully I didn't suffer permanent lung damage.

I'm not one to be allergic to things (not even poison oak) but CA is poison to me now. I think you'd be MUCH better off if you stayed with glue like TiteBond III or equivalent. I know it's not as convenient but it will help save your lungs.

BTW: I also believe that your skin will readily absorb the CA so not matter what you do in the way of venting or respirators you will no doubt get it on your fingers from time to time. It's why I always had debonder handy (:-).

Don
Old 12-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Sweet , thanks Minn .Some of the best fixes , are the simplest.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:25 PM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: bowlingbrad
I do have a window fan and I guess I will start using it. I did try using titebond and I got way too impatient. It just takes too long to dry.
I'll keep you posted!
When I use CA (which is very rare nowadays) I wear a cheap painters mask and have a fan blowing the fumes away. I use so little CA that if any of the minute particles are breathed in they do not affect me.
Another thing that work for me is to plan the build so that when one section is drying I can work on another.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:40 PM
sniperdude

heres the technique on working with CA. This is how they deal with it at the factories they build ARFs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20986.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	834349  
Old 12-28-2007, 02:33 PM
RJCadet
My Feedback: (1)

After much sneezing, wheezing, sniffles and seemingly constant cold symptoms I ,too, found that I am very allergic to CA adhesives. I found that Hobby Lobby (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/adhesive.htm) has an aliphatic adhesive that I think is a good substitute for CA. Of course, it isn't instantaneous but penetrates well, dries for handling in about 20 minutes and has maximum strength in just 2 or 3 hours. It is Super Phatic by Deluxe Materials. It's not made in the US and I haven't found anyone else that sells it. It cleans up well with water and sands well. It comes with a metal application needle which can clog if left to set too long. I have a syringe that came with ink refills for my printer that I fill with water and flush the needle after use. I sometimes get away with using a little low odor CA when I need instant adhesion but I use Super Phatic everywhere I would normally have used CA.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:20 PM
bowlingbrad

Fan in the window and fan blowing across my bench did the trick!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:18 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Hope the fan in the window continues to work for you. Allergic responses to CA apparently run the gamut. I personnally have a horrible reaction to the slightest exposure. Our club is holding a build class at the LHS. Last Saturday, one group was working on the wings while I was working on the tail feathers. There was roughly 15 feet between our groups. I was using Elmers Carpenters Glue, they were using CA. At one point during the 3 hour session, I caught a quick whiff of CA. About 6 hours later, my nose was running, and 12 hours later I couldn't stop sneezing. Now 7 days later, my nose has returned to normal. I am trying to convince the other builders in the class to not use CA at all.

Carpenters glue only needs to be clamped for 30 minutes, and as long as you're not stressing the parts, you can continue to build. I've built two entire wing panels with Carpenters glue in the course of a couple hours. It just requires a good supply of clamps, pins, and sandbags (for weights).

Brad