Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Lanier Models quality question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lanier Models quality question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:34 PM
tntelectric
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier Models quality question

Does anyone out there have an opinion about Laniers S.E.5A EP ARF 38"? Does anyone out there have an opinion about Lanier models in general? Are they high quality models? Are the made in China? Any info on Lanier Models would be appreciated. Happy Landings!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:50 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Lanier Models quality question

I don't have an opinion on the SE-5. i haven't seen one. Lanier and Golberg are one and the same. Their ARF's are built in China and they are very high quality for the money!
Old 01-04-2008, 05:13 PM
frugalflyer

'Cept for the covering, it peals off. I've had to recover several models.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:49 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No report on the SE 5 either.
However I have built/assembled several other Lanier kits from the old vacu-formed fuse jobs (I definatly give a thumbs down!(three of them if I had three)) to the Predator & Pred II. The latter being an ok value with the previous comment about the covering being confirmed.
The 21st century ARFs are pretty decent, the Corsair I had was pretty cool all the way around, thumbs up.[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 01-05-2008, 08:54 PM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would not buy another thing from lanier after the way I was treated after shelling out big money on a 35% laser 200 and then the landing gear fell off before it even left the ground , ended up talking with the so called owner of lanier - at least thats what I was told, but after asking a few select questions it was quite evident that she was just a P-on,
They wanted to sell me a whole new plane and didn't even want to see the evidence of their poor workmanship or PISS POUR QUALITY ASSURANCE,
I hope they choke on my hard earned money.

Signed , ONE PISSED OFF OZZIE
Old 01-05-2008, 11:24 PM
roknHS

Every ARF I saw with Lanier's name on it was over priced compared to what you could get from other suppliers. I built one of their kits and that was one too many for me.....
no hardware, raw wood and paper templates and the cheapest plastic for cowls and turtledecks that they could find........cracks when you look at it.......

First time I ever saw a good word about them was on this thread..............I doubt they got a lot of return customers......

Then they bought Goldberg and proceeded to ruin their good reputation.........lets hope Great Planes can straighted the whole thing out and salvage some good out of Bubba's Big Mess............If he made a buck for every person he pi$$ed off...........he has to have money to burn.

If I were you, I would make sure what I bought from them was so cheap you couldn't go wrong........or.......wait a while and see what Great Planes makes of the mess.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:00 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Lanier" and "Quality" is a contradiction in terms. Scoeroo, you are lucky you did not get to talk to Bubba; the real owner of Lanier. My son and I have been there and done that.

Les
Old 01-06-2008, 11:34 AM
firstplaceaviator

Wow! I am really surprised to hear about these bad experiences with Lanier. I have owned several of their planes including a P-51, a Rebel bipe, a 1/4 scale Laser 200, a shrike 400 and a Predator. My personal experience has been quite good. The plasic parts in the Laser kit were pretty much junk (I carved a foam tutledeck and sheeted it with balsa, The plastic cowl was replaced with one from Fiberglass Specialties). Other than that, I have found their kits to be very high quality and they all flew really well.
My Shrike kit was missing some pieces. I called Lanier and talked with Bubba. He was appologetic and sent the missing parts out that day. Maybe I have been lucky. But, I really don't have anything bad to say about Lanier.
Doug
Old 01-06-2008, 12:18 PM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Les,

I spoke with some shiela that said she was the owner of lanier, who is this bubba ??

Grant.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:24 PM
firstplaceaviator

Bubba Spivey is the owner, Sheila is probably his wife. I believe his dad started the company in the 1970's and Bubba has been there the whole time.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Ed_Moorman

The company has been sold to Hobbico, the parent of Great Planes and Tower, plus others. It may take several months, but I see no reason why the Lanier and Goldberg quality should not come up to equal to Great Planes' kits and ARFs.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:51 PM
vicman

That or be discontinued.
Those older ARFs need to take that path.[:'(]
Old 01-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Ed_Moorman

You mean the ones like the Jester and the Comet? I'll buy discontinue on those. Haven't seen one in years.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 PM
vicman

Yep, you know the ones. There is a whole series of those things. All not worth the time to put them togeather.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:06 PM
tntelectric

Hi Ed....do you mean that Hobbico OWNS Great Planes and Tower Hobbies? Is that what "Parent" means? Thanks. tntelectric (Tom)
Old 01-07-2008, 10:40 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tntelectric

Hi Ed....do you mean that Hobbico OWNS Great Planes and Tower Hobbies? Is that what "Parent" means? Thanks. tntelectric (Tom)
Yep, all the same company. The other big one is Horizon Hobby. the are Hangar-9, Park zone and so on.