Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

*Fuel Tank Distance*

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

*Fuel Tank Distance*

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *Fuel Tank Distance*

Ive never really thought about it before and I never had a situation where I needed to think about was the tank to far away from the carb. Just how far can you have a fuel tank away from the carb before it will not get enough fuel to run properly or at all? I'd say most of the time the distance is under 6" but can you go 8", 10", or 12"? What is the distance before you have to use a pump? I'm talking about big 2 stokes like the OS 1.20AX and the 1.60.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:22 AM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Fuel Tank Distance*

I dont know about the larger engines, but I have a pusher plane with an Evolution 46NT. Because of the pusher arrangement, the tank is backwards in relation to the engine (so the tank will face forward in the plane) The lines have to run around the tank to the "back" so they are almost 8" longer than normal. (though the tank is still close) I had to richen up both needles a bit, but it runs just great.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this argument before. I put my fuel tanks on the balance point for obvious reasons.

The picture shows a U-Can Do. It is powered by an OS 90 4 stroke. No pumps, muffler pressure only. The centre of the tank is about 16" from the engine. I do not have any fuel feed problems.

The yellow airplane is a Pylon Racer. I certainly do not want fuel feed problems with one of those. The centre of the tank is 10" from the engine.

Ed S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66689.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	843986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85871.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	843987  
Old 01-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed Smith,

Nice to here that the long distance isn't a problem with your planes. I bought another OS 120AX that I'll be running on a Wild Hare Extra 260. The plateform for the tank would put it about 12" from the carb. How are the vertical up lines?