Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help me?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Can anyone help me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:25 AM
alexander6706

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone help me?

Hey Guys,

I'll be visiting to USA soon. I already have my international driver's license. But I am not aware of traffic rules in USA. Does any one know from where I can get information regarding traffic lights, speed limit of car etc? If you people have some ideas, please help me.
But be true to your word, as I don’t want it to be “blind leading the blindâ€

Thanks for your time.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:34 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Can anyone help me?

Each state has their own laws. Which state(s) will you be visiting?
Doug

This sums it up nicely: [link=http://www.drivingabroad.co.uk/content.aspx?page=driving-in-the-usa&navid=19]Driving in the USA[/link]
Old 01-07-2008, 07:09 AM
Dr1Driver

Each state has their own laws concerning driving. I suggest you do a Google for traffic laws in the state you'll be visiting.

There are a few general things I can think of right off: We drive on the right side of the road here. Our speed limits are posted in miles per hour, not kilometers per hour. Right turn on a red light is permitted in all states (provided the traffic is clear) unless there is a sign prohibiting it. Interstate speed limits will vary from 55 mph to 70 mph. The use of turn signals is highly recommended. Be careful, US drivers will assume you know the rules of the road. You should carry your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance in the car with you at all times. If it is a rental car, they will give you documents to prove the last two items.

Welcome to the USA! I hope you'll also be doing some flying while you're here.

Dr.1
Old 01-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Ed Smith

U.S. drivers will assume you know the rules of the road.
How would they know?

Ed S
Old 01-07-2008, 11:35 AM
perreback

You'll be visiting the USA, and yet you are from "uk, AR, USA" --- huh?
Old 01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
mclina

Other than what has already been said, I can think of one more thing. If a police officer pulls you over, stay in the car! I had some co-workers from Ireland once, who were taught to get out of the car and walk back to the police car. This was very upsetting to the police officer who pulled them over.

Drive on the right, stop for red lights, and stay within 5mph of the posted limits and you should be fine. I would see if the state you are visiting has a handbook for visiting foreign drivers.

Enjoy your visit.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't pass a school bus from either direction if it has it's red lights flashing.

Leave one car length for every 10 mph of speed; except in California, New Jersey or in the Washington DC area where that is like bleeding in front of a shark.

Don't be the fastest or slowest vehicle in a line of traffic. ;-)

Oh, and if your rental car is a Chevy you have to leave the left turn signal on at all times.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You think we should warn him about road rage , or let him find out on his own.
Oh, and watch out for the dip-stick with the cell phone in their ear driving 20 mph slower than the speed limit in the fast lane.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:43 PM
fredsedno

Also, when entering a rotary[roundabout] we turn right and navigate in a counter-clockwise direction.
Should you be driving in Massachusetts successfully,you can drive any where in the U.S. I know, I live there.
not the sharpest tack in the box,Fredsedno
Old 01-07-2008, 06:58 PM
kdc

Most State maps have a summary of their own particular rules - ie right turn on red permittted etc
Be especially aware of varying speed limits entering towns --45 then 35 then 25 maybe 15 for a short distance. Its easy to see the first sign and then not realise there are others. Watch when the locals slow down -they know -just like UK drivers know when to slow for the speed cameras.

U turns are often not allowed.

Be aware that drivers behind will want to turn right on red and leave that lane free (if possible) when going ahead.

Find out particularly the procedure at 4 way STOP signs!

Dont panic when you cross green lights and see traffic coming from your right - they are turning right on red!

' Pavement Ends' does not mean there is no sidewalk! It means it becomes a dirt road.

The most likely place to forget which side of the road to drive is in car park! --really! - you are busy looking for a parking place & instinctively likely to pull to the left when another car comes towards you - and he does the same ( to his right of course ) and you both head for the same bit of road! Always remember to pass driver side to driver side ( that is just the same as UK its just you are both sitting on the opposite side!)

Watch out for dividing strips (kerbs/curbs )in the road suddenly appearing when you want to turn left. (almost invisible at night )
Final thing if you are left handed you might find it difficult to drive a manual car. Reason is sychronising left foot (clutch )with right hand gear lever (instead of left hand in UK ) is difficult for some left handers. Right hand people should be OK. Most hire cars are auto but 4wd etc might be manual. Make sur you know how to drive an auto - they wont start in D only in Park or Neutral. Ensure you find the overdrive switch on small cars.
All the above are experience from 27 years of holidays in the US.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:42 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

U.S. drivers will assume you know the rules of the road.
How would they know?

Ed S
LOL, true enough, we have rules in the US...most just chose not to follow them.
Having driven a lot in Toronto the past dozen years I can only surmise that a great many Canadians treat each trip by car as a game of chance and enjoy the rush from a sucessful mission. They should stick to the TTC...oh wait, that's no better
Montreal's worse, everyone thinking they're Villenueve on a qualifying lap (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Old 01-07-2008, 09:48 PM
sniperdude

ORIGINAL: fredsedno

Also, when entering a rotary[roundabout] we turn right and navigate in a counter-clockwise direction.
Should you be driving in Massachusetts successfully,you can drive any where in the U.S. I know, I live there.
not the sharpest tack in the box,Fredsedno
amen to that. born and raised in brockton, city of potholes.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:47 AM
david56

Hi,

First of all, welcome to US, the country that is always on the move. It is good that you have an international driving license. Here we drive on the left side of the road. Do some webs search on traffic rules and signs so that you can be familiar with the rules of the road. If you want to get information regarding traffic lights, speed limit of car, speed cameras and the most important thing, which we all fear i.e. hidden cops who can catch you any where and that too red handed, have a look at http://www.trapster.com/rl/Trapster.php.It really gets you going on the roads with a confidence.
Wish u a safe driving.