Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

how do you modify fiberglass panels?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

how do you modify fiberglass panels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:09 AM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default how do you modify fiberglass panels?

Hello,

I have a question on how to make fiberglass panels or modify exhisting panels. I have a H9 spitfire and I am putting on some old style spring struts and I am afraid that the gear doors will not fit flush with the bottom of the airplane. What I am wanting to do is keep the gear doors and make a buldge around the struts (not the big of a buldge) so that the gear door will fit flush. I have never glassed before but I believe with a few ideas I could make it happen. Appreciate your inputs!

Shannon
Old 01-10-2008, 12:38 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: how do you modify fiberglass panels?

To a limited degree, you can use heat to reform fiberglass. But you may have to make new ones on a simple mold, or add material to the one's you have and sand to shape. Did you fly at the Elkhart fly-in this year?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:43 AM
camdyson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other option is to trace the covers' shape onto thin aluminium sheet - I buy it at the local hardware store, and make covers from this. It's then pretty easy to put a gentle curve in the covers by hand, to clear the struts.

Cam
Old 01-10-2008, 11:12 AM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try heat first and if that does't work I'll try the aluminum.

I have been living in Liberal ks since last year and have not been able to make it to elkhart. I was invited to come down to Elhart once but the night before I had to work from 7 p.m. until about 8 a.m. I fly as an air ambulance pilot and have a crazy schedule. After that weekend the weather was bad and then Christmas came pretty fast. I'd like to get down there and fly with the others, because flying by myself isn't all that much fun.