Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Good Idea...Or yard dart recipe?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Good Idea...Or yard dart recipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 AM
jwingnut1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Idea...Or yard dart recipe?

Ok so I'm new to the hobby and I'm building my first kit. I see many applications for using microballons. While building the other day I came up with a crazy idea to use my balsa filler in my epoxy mix to make it more sandable and to give it a little "fluff". I seems to me that microballons are just some type of filler that accomplishes the same thing, but for added expense. I had no problem with the epoxy setting and it seems that sanding was easier. I realize that you give up some strength in lieu of the other properties. Is this a good Idea or should I just purchase some balloons? I've never used them before and am unsure about their properties.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:46 AM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Good Idea...Or yard dart recipe?

Just so you know, microballoons are just small glass spheres. I purchased a can of Sig Microballoons so long ago I can't remember purchasing it and it is still full after 4 airplane builds. Just get the can and it will last you forever.

Photo of microballoons below, in concrete.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16604.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	849850  
Old 01-13-2008, 09:51 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Back in the "good old days" before microbaloons, balsa dust was sold for just that purpose.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:05 AM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: R8893

Back in the "good old days" before microbaloons, balsa dust was sold for just that purpose.
I make my own balsa dust koooof, kooooof.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:38 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your are talking about your balsa filler being some kind of putty, it is probally a water based product, which is not going to mix well with your epoxy. If you are in need of making a wing fillet then resin and micro ballons are recommended, however this should not be an every day filler. As for sanding, resin and micro ballons do sand, but no where near as well as balsa filling putty. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Ed Smith

Be carefull with fillers applied to bare balsa. Any resin based filler will set up a lot harder than the surrounding balsa. When sanding the softer balsa will sand away leaving a blob of filler standing up and a real mess. You will not be able to feather the edges. Resin/Micro Ballon fillers should realy be used only on an already glassed surface that is hard.

Now this suggestion will probably bring a storm of criticism. The best filler I have found for use on bare balsa is drywall compound (Mud)?. It is very cheap and sands very easily. It must be used in moderation as the material is heavy.

The picture shows a wing tip block blended to the wing with drywall compound.

Ed S

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75115.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	850071  
Old 01-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Bad_Daddy

In the aerospace industry, we often use micro-spheres in our epoxy - especially when it is used to join 2 pieces of rigid material together. You see, the maximum joint shear strength is realized when the joint is .005 - .015 thick, so we use .005 - .008 micro-spheres in the mix to act like tiny "spacers" to keep the joint at the correct thickness.
BTW, micro-spheres are solid little marbles, micro-balloons are hollow little balloons.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:36 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jwingnut, A good reason to keep microballoons on hand is that they are compatable with pretty much everything you mix them with. You don't want to get yourself in a situation where you mixed balsa filler (for example) with something .... and then find out later (maybe much later) that they were not compatable and the bond is weakening or never totally curing.
As far as the cost of microballoons ... it is peanuts ,,,, you'll be surprised how long one bottle/jar lasts.
Enjoy building ! Bob
Old 01-14-2008, 01:30 PM
voyager_663rd

If you still end up using the m-balloons, make sure you don't stir them too hard when mixing. Do it gently because they will break and not do their job.