Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

BATTERY LEVEL INDICATOR

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

BATTERY LEVEL INDICATOR

Old 01-17-2008, 12:06 PM
TommyTonk214
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BATTERY LEVEL INDICATOR

HI EVERYONE,
I AM GETTING BACK INTO RC FLYING AFTER ABOUT 5-6 YEARS AND GOING THROUGH MY STUFF, I FOUND A BATTERY POWER LEVEL INDICATOR. I NEVER USED IT AND I DONT HAVE THE PACKAGING OR INSTRUCTIONS. THE CONFUSION I HAVE IS THAT ALL THE INDICATORS I FIND ON THE INTERNET HAVE (2) CONNECTORS, MINE HAS ONLY (1) MALE CONNECTOR. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THIS HOOKS UP TO? IT SEEMS THAT I REMEMBER IT HOOKS INTO THE RECIEVER SOMEWHERE BUT I'M NOT CERTAIN ON IT. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
THANKS,
TOMMYTONK
Old 01-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BATTERY LEVEL INDICATOR

A picture would help, but if it's anything like this monitor, you can plug it into any open Rx channel. This will give you the status of your on-board battery.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28221.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	853485  
Old 01-18-2008, 12:09 AM
RealPilotAce

I just have to ask... are these worth anything. I charge up my batteries each time before heading out. 1600mah on the Rx and my 7C lets me see the Tx.. So, with more than enough on the Rx batteries for more flights than I would have time for, would i have ANY reason to use these??? Other than sending a few more bucks over to China?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 06:52 AM
acarter

I used to use them, but I have stopped and started using a more accurate voltmeter. They aren't really that accurate, I would not use them to tell me if I should fly one more time or not. For that I always used a voltmeter. The reason I had them on is so that if maybe left the rx on or it didn't get fully charged for some reason, the voltwatch will let you know and probably save your plane. You should always check your batteries at least on your first flight, whether it's with a voltwatch or a expanded scale voltmeter. It's not worth loosing a plane because the battery was to low to fly.

Austin
Old 01-18-2008, 10:28 AM
RealPilotAce

Thanks, I'll just throw the small VOM in the tool box and take it with me. Since at most I go about 3 flights each time, it still would be a good practice to start and watch the levels before even taking the first flight. And, not relying on just a full charge from the charger.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO the Voltwatch is a very good investment. Not only does it give you a good idea of the status of your battery (you check it at the end of each flight before turning off the transmitter and receiver) so that you do not start the next flight with a low battery. Even better, if you check the lights as you cycle the sticks, you get a good idea of whether or not you have wiring problems or a dragging servo or some other trouble in the wiriing. If you see the lights dancing up and down the indicator, you have a potential problem as that is telling you that there is an excessive voltage drop somewhere between the battery and where you have the Voltwatch plugged in. This is all good info that even the best voltmeter (loaded or not) will not tell you. It is almost as good as monitoring your power buss with an oscilloscope.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:03 PM
balsabuster2003

I use mine to set the servo endpoints. If the voltage starts dropping, the servo must be moving the control surfaces to their practical maximum, or something else is wrong.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:47 PM
scratchonly

A VOM without a built in load will tell you very little; a nicad battery could show full voltage after a 10 MINUTE charge. Get an expanded scale meter with a built in load.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:07 PM
RealPilotAce

Thanks for the advice... I took 3 years of electronics in H.S. about 27 years ago... forgot alot... Dohh! But I will be getting one for my planes now. Talked with some folks at the N.H. Auction this past weekend. Convinced me that there are other reasons to check batteries than to see how much is in the tank so to say.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:20 AM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

scratchonly nailed it! If you want to use the first mentioned gadget, go ahead. But, get yourself a "RC Specific" battery tester. They are very affordable, and will put the correct load on your airborne and transmitter batteries, yielding an accurate reading.
One of, if not THE, most important item to have in your flight box, IMO.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Properly installed (plugged into one of the spare receiver channels) a Voltwatch is ever bit as good as a loaded voltmeter as it is using the actual load you have when you are flying. If you check the voltwatch at the end of each flight befor turning off the switch on your receiver and transmitter, cycle the sticks and you have the same load you are acutally flying with. It is also much more apt to be used as it is a permanent part of the plane and does not require that extra effort to dig out and connect an external meter.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:40 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

How can a devise apply an actual airborne load, while the plane is sitting on the ground? Forces from the atmosphere against control surfaces are not present.