Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

storing planes?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

storing planes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:25 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default storing planes?

I cant leave my planes in the house anymore (probably because I epoxied the the dining room table more than I should have).. Anyway I have to store them in a level position, is that OK? It seem if you store them with the engine downwards all the oil will go to the front of the engine an not leave enough for the rear bearing. Is this a theory or fact or maybe logic? I do go out and rotate the engine periodically to ciculate the oil. What do you think?

TAZZZZ[sm=50_50.gif][sm=angel_smile.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-20-2008, 06:34 AM
bbbair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: storing planes?

I think that this is one of those situations where everyone has a theory and nobody is sure... []

Personally; I store my planes in the garage, horizontally all year, and I have no problems. BUT... I also use after run oil - which some folks disagree with...

I have several friends that will hang a plane on the wall by the propeller - they don't complain about any problems.

So the answer is .... whatever you want to do. (But I'd still recommend a good shot of after run oil )
Old 01-20-2008, 07:23 AM
acarter

I have my planes on a rack that keeps them horizontal. I also use after run oil. Most people will say to keep the up if you store it vertically. Either way I don't think you will have any problems.

Austin
Old 01-20-2008, 08:14 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Put them where they are convenient for you... they will be fine
Old 01-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of my planes are stored horizontally, the rest are stored nose down.. I do use after run oil in the engines. I have not had a problem storing them in either position.

This past fall I took out a plane I had not flown in over a year. The plane had been hanging nose down for all this time without the engine being rotated, etc (This is in an unheated shed in Connecticut ).

I gave the engine a shot of after run oil and turned it over 8 or 9 times by hand, then went to the field. 6th flip the engine started and ran. I let it run out about 1/2 tank then shut it down and refilled the tank. 3rd flip the engine started. I did some final adjustments and went and flew it with no problems. Another plane sat for about 10 months in a horizontal position. Prepped the engine the same way and did the same thing at the field - again, no engine problems.

This has been my experiences with long term storage.

Hope this has been of some help