Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

1/4 scale Gee Bee

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

1/4 scale Gee Bee

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:40 PM
lrglnman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 scale Gee Bee

http://www.glhobbies.com/1_4%20GeeBee/25geebee.htm
I am thinking of building this plane. Any one got any flying experience with a Gee Bee? Doesn't have to be this piticular one. How is the flight characteristics. Handling on take off and landing. Crosswinds. Any advice
Old 01-25-2008, 07:01 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 1/4 scale Gee Bee

Flying characteristics are nil

The Gee Bee was designed to be fast - and nothing else.

They put the biggest engine they could find in the smallest airframe they could build around it.

So basically, you want to fly it like a guided missle
Old 01-27-2008, 11:34 AM
rgoldy

Good "Hanger Queen" project and should be left there. They didn't fly worth a poo in real life and don't fly worth a poo in RC. Biggest issue is you need to land them fast and then they want to nose over. Lots of money for a heartache-better put towards an extra/edge/yak or something you can have fun with. But that's why there's Baskin Robbins.....
Old 01-27-2008, 01:11 PM
lrglnman

thanks for the info guys. I will take your advice. sure is a cool plane though. Your advice is on point with everyone else's as well.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:13 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually the real planes flew well; Delmar Benjamin proved that , but they dont like 3 point landings and short fields which was what was avalable in the 30's. The models tend to flip over on take off and landings. Bigger the better for the models.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:24 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I have have a 1/4 scale Adrian Page model. It is one of the most stable and best flying models in my "squadron". I can't comment on the one that you reference but my in my experience, if built light, they are a fine model. They do have a tendancy to nose over on landing but if they are slowed down (remember to keep it light) they are ok.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:57 AM
lrglnman

I like the look of the Gee Bee Y as well . the fuse is not as big and should be a better flier.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:01 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A nice compromise is the Gee Bee "Y"

Similar in looks but a MUCH nicer flier
Old 01-28-2008, 07:22 AM
lrglnman

Did that plane come in the red and white colors? all I ever saw is the yellow and black.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Gee Bee Z was always yellow and black.

http://cfcgraphics.com/1930_s_Racers.html

Although Don has passed away, he still deserves much consideration for his efforts with the Gee Bee Z. Actually one of my most favorite airplanes.

Sorry, I should change the text on this page, because I no longer provide gear. That was some years ago.

The name of the Company that makes Gee Bee Z gear, escapes me at the moment. I've seen photos and they do a great job. Cleaner welds than what I did, that's for sure.

Charles
Old 01-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: rgoldy

Good "Hanger Queen" project and should be left there. They didn't fly worth a poo in real life and don't fly worth a poo in RC. Biggest issue is you need to land them fast and then they want to nose over. Lots of money for a heartache-better put towards an extra/edge/yak or something you can have fun with. But that's why there's Baskin Robbins.....
That's not entirely accurate. The Gee Bee R-2 was advanced for its time and required flying skills not fully appreciated in those days. The phrase "bigger flies better" is especially fitting for the GeeBee 'Z', R-1, and R-2 models. A 1/4 scale Gee Bee is not bad. If you keep in mind that the Gee Bee R-2 is a racer (and fly it as such), then there isn't generally an issue. It's when modelers try to turn this racer into a sport aircraft that trouble occurs. The R-2 is fully controllable, capable of aerobatics, and has good straight line speed - just like the real one.

The Gee Bee Z is the yellow and black racer. The Gee Bee R-1 has a large "11" on the side while the R-2 has the "7" on the side. The R-1 had the larger "WASP" engine for speed (Thompson Trophy Race) and the R-2 had a smaller engine for cross country (Bendix Trophy Race).

The Gee Bee R-2 handles crosswinds less than gracefully, but is still doable if the pilot has a little nuance in his/her fingers.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:49 AM
JL1

I have two Gee Bee's, both kit built from Adrian Page kits. Both have are nearly exact scale outlines. One was 1/5 scale and the other is 1/4. I sold the 1/5 and the 1/4 flies regularly.
Both will slow down to a walk for landing, both go exactly where they are pointed and are extremely stable models, the kind that you feel totally comfortable with on the first flight.
I can't speak for other Gee Bee model designs but it appears to me, if they are properly designed and the weight is kept down, they are fine flers whatever their size.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Avaiojet

The Page 1/5 scale Gee Bee Z is far from scale outlines. Really far! The wing, although a good airfoil choice, is totally wrong, in that it has no elipse.

The fuselage is way far from thick enough and there are other things.

His model is advertised as semi-scale, as it is. It's a great model right out of the box!

I'd like to see a photo of the Page kit, as it is offered without changes, placed along side of this photo. It took a tremendous amount of work to bash, the Page kit, to look like this almost scale model of the Gee Bee Z.

Unfortunately the model is small at 58" in span.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31726.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1112608  
Old 01-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: JL1

...I can't speak for other Gee Bee model designs but it appears to me, if they are properly designed and the weight is kept down, they are fine flers whatever their size.
Yes, sir.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:23 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have the Kyosho GeeBee. It's not a bad flier but cross wind landings? Forget it. This is a smaller plane and I am sure part of the problem is in the size. Also the Kyosho landing gear wire is to soft.
Going back to the cross wind landings. The rudder is nearly ineffective at landing speeds. If you land fast enough for the rudder to be effective the wire gear will fold. Again this is partly the manufacturers fault. If the wire were stouter it may be possible.

David
Old 01-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Avaiojet

As a pilot for over 30 years, I can quite honestly tell you that a good pilot, of real airplanes, will avoid crosswind landings whenever possible.

We always pick the most favorable runway. Modelers should also, or wait for a better day to fly.

I learned on a tail dragger. I can't imagine getting in the air without an effective rudder. Gotta have rudder.

Charles
Old 01-17-2009, 05:38 PM
JL1

I don't know anything about the Z and do not claim to. My comments pertain to the 1/5 and 1/4 R-2's only.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

As a pilot for over 30 years, I can quite honestly tell you that a good pilot, of real airplanes, will avoid crosswind landings whenever possible.

We always pick the most favorable runway. Modelers should also, or wait for a better day to fly.

I learned on a tail dragger. I can't imagine getting in the air without an effective rudder. Gotta have rudder.

Charles
Yes, I fly full scale as well (not as long as you have) and have respect for the power of nature; however, when you have one paved R/C runway on top of a hill, you don't exactly get the luxury of a runway with the least crosswind component. If you're a competition pilot (like me) and need to practice before a meet, you can't exactly wait a few days until mother nature calms down. What's the guarantee that the competition will have good weather? Are you going to travel to the event and book a hotel only to find out that the winds are gusting to 30 knots 45 degrees off runway heading and you're afraid to fly?

The weather in the glider picture looked fabulous. Unfortunately, cameras can't pick up wind. The wind was going good at ground level, but the real kicker was the wind gradient when coming in to land. If you weren't paying attention, you'd land short. You can't afford to do that when you're in a glider and there are trees in front of the threshold. Nobody died. There was, however, a non-pilot that wanted to take a glider ride. He lost his lunch. No thermals that day anyways, and as you can tell from the picture, no way in heck to get ridge lift - darn midwestern landscape.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Avaiojet

Everyone, and I mean everyone, will argue, and argue they will, but I never understood "compitition."

Charles
Old 01-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

Everyone, and I mean everyone, will argue, and argue they will, but I never understood "compitition."

Charles
I'm not trying to argue. I respect the point you made and your aviation experience. My point was that sometimes it's just not realistic to only fly in perfect conditions, that's all.

I may have come off a bit strong. Friends?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:18 AM
jetmech05

Nathan..noticed you were from Omaha...I was raised just down river from you..St. Joe Mo.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 AM
daveopam

Nathan, like you I have respect for Charles's point. However, if you live in western OK like I do. Waiting for a good day means you miss a lot of flying. Our runway is 45x500 with grass to rough for wheel pants on one side. If there is a cross wind you just have to suck it up. Most planes are not a problem, and maybe the bigger GeeBees are also not a problem. With the little one I have it's a problem. Every landing with it has to be perfect, cross wind or not. To fast and you fold the gear. To slow and it falls from the sky.

David
Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Nathan King

daveopam, that was precisely my point. Midwestern summers are quite unforgiving. Our runway is 40' x 500' and, as you can see, is on a hill. Being in the midwest, it 'ain't pretty. For a part of our Labor Day Airshow we have a very talented 3D pilot who travels around with a 40% doing shows give a demonstration flight. Every year he remarks about how he simply cannot do much of his low to the ground stuff at our field because of the high turbulence. Every year, it is apparent that he's struggling. That's a sponsored Team Futaba pilot with a 40%!

Bigger GeeBees are the way to go.

Hey jetmech, you weren't far from here. You moved to Florida? You lucky #&^@!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Avaiojet

Nathan,

Your correct, and I agree with placement of the runway. I also believe that Modeler's should have "special" airplanes for those crosswind days, especially when learning. Never use the good stuff!

Actually better to use someone else's.

Like there's a chance of that.

I looked over your site. Congratulations, appears as though you're a fine young man, destined to be an Aviator. When it's in the genes, it's in the genes.

Interesting, your interest in Classical piano. I was a Jazz drummer, although, back then, we played whatever we had to to make a buck.

Now I have a steel pan drum and a Banjo. Go figure.

Keep up the good work!

Charles

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71204.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1116714  
Old 01-22-2009, 10:36 AM
daveopam

A banjo picker from RI? Whoed a thunk it.

david