Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

single conversion vs dual conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

single conversion vs dual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:00 PM
rcplaneflyer78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default single conversion vs dual conversion

i was wandering what the difference is between single and dual conversion receivers is and if single conversion will work with my tx. i have a futaba fp-t8uap pcm1024 with a fp-tp-fm rf module and currently use dual conversion rx.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:37 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts
Default RE: single conversion vs dual conversion

RC recievers mix a signal with the incoming signal. It produces 4 outputs, the 2 original signals, the sum of the two and the difference of the two. Lower freqency signals are easier to work with the reciever extracts the difference of the two and uses that to decode the servo position information.

Dual conversion does this twice eliminating some types of interference.

It only relates the the way the receiver handles the incoming signal, the transmitter doesn't know or care what type of reciever you are using so yes, a SC or DC will work with a given transmitter.

There are some good single conversion rx's, there are some crappy dc ones so if you buy a quality reciever you should be fine. Most park flyer recievers are SC since there's less components they are lighter and cheaper and dont have to work at the rangers we ask for our bigger stuff.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:08 AM
B.L.E.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: single conversion vs dual conversion

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

RC recievers mix a signal with the incoming signal. It produces 4 outputs, the 2 original signals, the sum of the two and the difference of the two. Lower freqency signals are easier to work with the reciever extracts the difference of the two and uses that to decode the servo position information.

Dual conversion does this twice eliminating some types of interference.
Superheterodyne recievers are subject to image frequency interference. The image frequency is another frequency that results in the sum frequency being listened to by the intermediate frequency section. By converting twice, it is easier to reject the image frequency.