Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

how long can equipment sit without going bad

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

how long can equipment sit without going bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:55 PM
The Juice
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long can equipment sit without going bad

I haven't flown in a couple years and have gotten the itch to get airborne again. I haven't touched the batteries in the plane or radios, or the flight box. Will any of this stuff go bad over time without any use? How can I tell if my batteries and electronics will hold a charge long enough for a few flights? Thx
Old 01-27-2008, 02:01 PM
meaden

Default RE: how long can equipment sit without going bad

Replace the batts (Rx and Tx)...check all the linkages...run a tank or two through the engine.

Go fly.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:18 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best thing is to replace the flight and tx batteries they can develop leaks,internal shorts and loose their rated capacity from sitting.cheaper than a new plane and all the equipment.flight line batteries you can charge and see if they will work.best if you can send the equipment in for a check up to make sure nothing cot corroded while sitting.switches especially.as far as the engine ,just use some glow fuel to loosen it up,flush out the tank,replace all the fuel lines,metal and silicone and start it up.the nitro in the fuel makes brass get brittle so better to replace now than have problems.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If those were NiCad batteries (and you left them connected in the equipment) be sure to check the leads going to the negative terminals for "Black Wire Disease) which is a form of corrosion that happens only when NiCads are used and one of the cells has a broken or deteriated seal. If you have a discolored wire (dark, almost black) and it is very brittle and will not take solder, you have it. The only cure is to replace the wire for its entire length. Check out www.rcbatteryclinic.com for further info on Black Wire Disease.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:41 PM
The Juice

Good info guys, thanks for the quick replies. I was figuring it would be smart to replace the batts to be on the safe side.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:33 PM
acarter

Depending on how many planes you have it might pay to get a battery cycler and find out if your batteries are bad or not. If it's only been two or three years some mgith still be good. I think someone mentioned it but, be sure to replace your fuel lines, they may seem good but why take the chance of an air leak when fuel tubing is so cheap.

Austin
Old 01-27-2008, 05:51 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also replace the tank (not just the lines). The clunk inside may be barely holding onto the tubing inside the tank and tank stopper may be dried out/cracking. The cost of Tank/line replacement is peanuts ... and it may save your plane. Bob
Old 01-27-2008, 05:55 PM
The Juice

Boy you guys are just wracking up the money here....
Old 01-27-2008, 06:12 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can't speak for the others but been where you are now so know what you are going through.I did a lilltle at a time to keep from depleting the cash on hand but did not skimp on the important stuff like batteries and things on the plane,ground support equipment could wait.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Steve Steinbring

Juice,

I've been back in the hobby just about six months after about a 12 year layoff.

Some of the aircraft and gear I stored are still good, BUT!!!! Fuel lines, tanks, batteries, TX, RX, and other such stuff have been discarded. I had six Futaba radios stored in cases which I set aside going to a Spectrum 7 channel radio setup. There was no return in trying to resurrect old technology, the cost exceeded the value of far better techology.[]