Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Word to the wise on shipping

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Word to the wise on shipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:25 PM
oakley
My Feedback: (71)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Word to the wise on shipping

Watch out when you make a deal with someone in Canada. I shipped a small battery charger to Ontorio and it cost me $11.80. OUCH!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:59 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Word to the wise on shipping

That actually doesn't sound too bad for international shipping. Just like everything else, even domestic shipping has gone up considerably in the last year or so. Where you really have to watch is on ebay. There are sellers with attractive prices on ARF's and other RC stuff but with inflated shipping as much or more than the item itself.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Bratpak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering how you shipped it ???
Usually if I buy something from the States I request that it be shipped USPS Priority Post. Better prices than the shipping companies.

Mark
Old 02-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

The price for international shipping isn't too bad...I used the USPS to ship two Schulze ISL-330d battery chargers to Germany for a software upgrade, and it cost $32.00, plus another $6.00 for insurance.
One heck of a bargain.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP

Old 02-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: oakley

Watch out when you make a deal with someone in Canada. I shipped a small battery charger to Ontorio and it cost me $11.80. OUCH!

I guess I've lived in Canada too long. If I could ship anything anywhere for less than $11.80 I would be very happy.

How's this one. I am working in the very far North of Canada and today we received a 1 lb. container of ABS glue at work and because it is classed as hazard matereials the shipping costs were $310.00. I would be very happy with $11.80
Old 02-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats why I don't ship outside the lower 48 states anymore.

I used to ship to Canada, but it seamed the guys always wanted me to declare a low value on the item so they wouldn't have to pay import, or duty taxes. Not sure what it was all about, but it wasn't something that I was comfortable with.

I sell you a motor for $300. But you want me to declare it's value at $20 so you don't have to pay some kind of Canadian taxes. But you also want me to insure it for $300.

??

I just quit shipping outside the US. Committing fraud on a US Postal service form is a federal offense and I could wind up in prison for it. Sorry to my northern neighbors. You'll have to buy from somebody else.

Got my flame suit on, because I know somebody is steaming mad at me now. Isn't it really my choice, as the seller, to decide where I am willing to ship? Don't be angry at me for it.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:58 PM
pub

ISN'T NAFTA GREAT??????????????? pub
Old 02-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

Thats why I don't ship outside the lower 48 states anymore.

I used to ship to Canada, but it seamed the guys always wanted me to declare a low value on the item so they wouldn't have to pay import, or duty taxes. Not sure what it was all about, but it wasn't something that I was comfortable with.

I sell you a motor for $300. But you want me to declare it's value at $20 so you don't have to pay some kind of Canadian taxes. But you also want me to insure it for $300.

??

I just quit shipping outside the US. Committing fraud on a US Postal service form is a federal offense and I could wind up in prison for it. Sorry to my northern neighbors. You'll have to buy from somebody else.

I have had stuff coming from the USA for years. I just placed an order with FMA Direct. I have NEVER paid duty on R/C stuff only 5% GST. I have never asked anyone to claim a lower price and can't imagine what they would gain by doing so.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:40 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Me too. I got tired of being asked to undervalue, or list as a gift. I have a concealed pistol license, and refuse to jeopordize it, and my right to own a gun at all, over someone else's tax code...

I weigh my items for sale, specify my shipping method and use the calculate feature. I add $1.00 as a packing fee that is figured into the shipping cost by the calculator, to offset the cost of bubble wrap, tape, etc, so the bidder knows exactly what he's getting into before bidding. It won't stop the whining (there's always someone trying to beat the system) , but it gives you an unassailable position with regards to complaints that you overcharge for shipping.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:53 PM
mikegordon10

Try 40 bucks for a fubar radio to Brazil!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:54 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

working in a company that ships all the time... the $11.80 sounds cheap