Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

RC model capable to flight at 150 mph for 30 minutes or more??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

RC model capable to flight at 150 mph for 30 minutes or more??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:47 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC model capable to flight at 150 mph for 30 minutes or more??

You're a fair and just moderator MinnFlyer.[8D]
Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 PM
flytahoe43

hey where would you be flying such an A/C??? That is going to be pretty fast and pretty big to be flying just anywhere. Legally it would be ok, but doing it safely and avoiding the general aviation population is another story.

But sweet non the less!
Send a post if you ever need real pilots for your crazy tests!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chile is a very long country. They have the space. If they wanted to do this on the cheap they could use a large glider on the slopes of the Chilean Andes and attain well over 150mph (kph?) for hours and hours on end.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Bad_Daddy

50 kilometers = 31.0685596 miles
Still smells fishy. Either he converted km to miles incorrectly (and is doing poorly in class) or we don't have half of the story yet.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:04 AM
roofer

I asked what equpment by meaning size and wheight + enough feul for 30 min @ 150 mph then you can determin size of fuselage + wing loading +++ then you can design or see what you can modify to do this. Yest its gonna be expensive unles you go to a large scale glider then you gonna lose all the wheght of engine plus feul and with a good design and enough altitude maybe 150 mph - I like speed so geus what I'm gonna do with my glider
Old 02-21-2008, 07:31 AM
maugonzalez

I'm going to try to explain very clearly the project.
We need an RC model capable to flight at 140 mph or more for 30 minutes or more.
I did the preliminary design for that mission, but we need the airplane now, and we don't have time to design every detail and build it.
We want to adapt an RC model in to a UAV and use it for a civil application, specifically for Forest fire control, not detection.
This is a complete system and one part of it is a speed airplane capable of flight for 30 minutes or more.

I work with two professors, one is German and the other one is Belgium, and they warn me about ask in an American forum about this kind of airplane.
I can believe that people react like this. There are just questions.

Here in Chile one of the biggest problems are the Forest Fires, because We have miles and miles of forest and We live from that source. So, there's a lot of people interested in solved that problems. That's why we can buy something a little expensive.

It's difficult to me express myself because my english is not very good but I'm trying to. That's why I can sound fishy.
I know that is hard or maybe impossible to find some rc model capable to do this, but that's why I came here, to this forum, because if you people doesn't know about this, no one knows. This is the biggest forum of RC in the world.

So... It would be really nice if someone helps me on this.

Mauricio Gonzalez
Old 02-21-2008, 09:26 AM
firstplaceaviator

Mauricio,
There is no commercially available R/C model that will do what your asking. Use a full scale airplane to prove the concept, then build the UAV. That is the quickest way to get it done.
Doug
Old 02-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Steve Steinbring

Mauricio,

Been watching this thread with interest! The aircraft is just a small part of the problem!

The avionics is the other portion. Without satallite integration for navigation and instrumentation feedback along with realtime video display my thoughts are just good luck! The UAV's the US military uses are flown just like a manned aircraft, only the pilot maybe located at Nellis AFB with the aircraft in Iraq. Its doubtful in my mind that it could be easily done via radio TX towers and if that would work the need for realtime positioning and aircraft control interface is still there. The only other way would be a pre-programmed flight profile with the aircraft controlled via autopilot with inertial(INS) and GPS on board. Perhaps slaving the autopilot/nav system to a single flight path navigation beacons might work on a point to point route of flight. [sm=confused.gif]

On a limited budget this project is going to be difficult at best. Through the miracle of money most things can be accomplished, it be nice to have a great budget to make it happen.

Best of luck in your research.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:07 AM
firstplaceaviator

The aircraft is just a small part of the problem! The avionics is the other portion.
Steve,
They have already proven their system with slower models. The avionics is not the problem. Finding a UAV that will fly 150MPH for 30 minutes is the problem.

In our department We have several rc models including one UAV call GIANT ..in spanish "Grupo de Interes de Aviones No-Triuplados" in english "Groupe of Interest on UAVs".
Now We want to prove our transmission systems at high speed (150 mph) and we want to prove it with a range of 50 km.

We adapt a trainer like the SIG LT-40 with very good results.

But now We are looking for another airplane a little more aerodynamic efficient and capable to fly with a bigger motor or turbine.
We want to prove an MP2028 autopilot and a MHX910 communication system.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys, I am going to have to disagree with all who have said that there is no R/C plane on the market that will satisfy their needs.

The airframes and powerplants are available for his project. I recommend looking into the Skygate Hawk. This jet is certainly large enough to carry sufficient fuel. With the right turbine, it will easily be over a 150mph aircraft.

http://www.skygate-collection.de/index.php?id=567&L=3
Old 02-21-2008, 02:43 PM
red1

MinnFlyer,

Isn't this question more appropriate for the UAV and Drone Forum?

Red 1 (aka Don Borton)
AMA IMAA
WACO Brotherhood #72
Old 02-21-2008, 03:23 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Possibly, but it fits this category also. I try not to move things unless I feel the OP will get a better reply elsewhere.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:46 PM
maugonzalez

It's the BAE Hawk capable to store enough fuel to flight for 30 minutes with a P-160??
Old 02-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It's the BAE Hawk capable to store enough fuel to flight for 30 minutes with a P-160??

Since no one has done this sort of thing before, that is a difficult question to answer. There certainly is room enough within that huge fuselage for sufficient fuel. Functioning wing tanks is also another possibility.

Not sure about the engine either. That Hawk is a verrrrrry large jet. If I were in charge of this project, I would err on the side of too much power rather than just enough.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:36 PM
pub

Forest fires,so you want the plane to put out forest fires?I can't understand this. pub
Old 02-22-2008, 03:49 PM
pub

google (forest fires in CHILE) after reading a few hits, I still don't understand the reason for a RC,30min,150mph. pub
Old 02-22-2008, 03:54 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Minn -

I know you cautioned us about speculating on the OPs intention. Unfortunately, the OP isn't the only one reading the answers. An RC model capable of 30 minutes of flight at 150 mph WOULD be an extremely attractive piece of equipment for some of the worlds terrorists, and as such, I would vote for deleting this thread.

This post may get deleted, but at least I spoke my piece.

Brad
Old 02-22-2008, 04:12 PM
MinnFlyer

Your point is well taken Brad, but there are limits to everything.

It would be easy enough, if a terrorist should so desire, to go into a LHS and buy an RTF 60-size trainer, fill it with the "Hazardous material du-jour" and fly it into an orphanage.

They wouldn't need anything much more sophisticated.

And if they wanted it, the AMA Magazine did an in-depth article a while back going into detail as to how a group of modelers flew a plane from the US to Greenland.

So the info is already out there.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Villa

Hi MinnFlyer
I suggest you delete your last post. I don't want to see our government start regulating or limiting our hobby. Maybe delete the whole thing.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:22 PM
MinnFlyer

Do you really believe that the Gov't isn't already aware of this???

We live in a free society.

The advantage of this is that we are free to do as we please without Gov't interference.

The disadvantage of this is that other people are free to do as they please without Gov't interference.

We all want the Gov't to keep us safe - until it means we have to wait in line at the airport for two hours. Then we want our freedoms back.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

The advantage of this is that we are free to do as we please without Gov't interference.

The disadvantage of this is that other people are free to do as they please without Gov't interference.

We all want the Gov't to keep us safe - until it means we have to wait in line at the airport for two hours. Then we want our freedoms back.
I have been reading this for a few days now and can't believe the response of some. I thought this was a forum by and for the R/C community to exchange ideas and help one another to better their R/C hobby. As you said, ( Do you really believe that the Gov't isn't already aware of this??? ). Why do a few people think it is their responsibility to play detective and police this forum. I for one thought the possibility of creating a small scale aircraft capable of 150 mph for a half hour would be a challenge for anyone who is in the R/C airplane hobby. Or maybe they just like to play cop!!!!.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I questioned the utility of the specs, based on a fixed location to fly from. The speed and time of flight isn't practical for a sporting model.
For observing ground features, the amount of electronics needed would drive the costing, not the airframe or motor, for a practical device; guidance, monitoring, getting the sensor information to a ground station..
It's a high-dollar project.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:35 PM
pub

Hello Villa,I'm back into this hobby after 25+ yrs,somewhere I read that a radio used today has to have a gold sticker on the back,I have not found why and most likely will never ask why. So will this plane fly at 150 mph for 15 min. and return at 150 mph and land? pub
Old 02-22-2008, 08:21 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Skinny Bob

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I have been reading this for a few days now and can't believe the response of some. I thought this was a forum by and for the R/C community to exchange ideas and help one another to better their R/C hobby. As you said, ( Do you really believe that the Gov't isn't already aware of this??? ). Why do a few people think it is their responsibility to play detective and police this forum. I for one thought the possibility of creating a small scale aircraft capable of 150 mph for a half hour would be a challenge for anyone who is in the R/C airplane hobby. Or maybe they just like to play cop!!!!.

What's wrong with folks asking questions? This board functions quite nicely to exchange ideas and there is a TON of that going on. However, as Minn illustrated, these freedoms can be abused and shine a bad light on what is otherwise a good thing. We're not obligated to simply answer questions when asked.

somegeek
Old 02-22-2008, 10:34 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing for sure is that glow engines are no way going to pull this off. What if you went for say a giant scale mustang with say an 80-100cc gasoline engine and then load the puppy up with as much gasoline as the wing loading can handle. Or maybe instead of a mustang one of the unlimited scale racing type of planes, you will definitely have to go large scale to be able to pull off a 30 minute endurance flight.

Check out this link for possible planes
http://www.usrainfo.org/

As far as radios capable of pulling off what you want, who knows.

P.S. I think the plane will be struggling to carry the weight of fuel and radio equipment alone, there is no way it would be able to carry the additional weight of a warhead. Lets not get carried away here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93735.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	885973  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.