Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Getting covering out of tight places on a recover!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Getting covering out of tight places on a recover!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting covering out of tight places on a recover!!

I am currently recovering a Beaver that had seen better days. My question is how do you get the covering out of the tight places like where the horiz. stab was glued into place?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 PM
pub

Default RE: Getting covering out of tight places on a recover!!

How about some pics, pub
Old 02-28-2008, 11:00 PM
pub

Here is a flying beaver. pub
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13939.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	891231  
Old 02-29-2008, 03:36 AM
superflea

Ahh photo shop...

Hmmm as for the question hows about photoshopping the covering out.

sry couldn't help it.

Just try to scrape it off as best you can. try a heat gun. people say that the amonia in windex has been known to loosen monokote, mostly in reference to using windex to clean up after flight, but if amonia softens the glue... course i been known to tack down trouble spots with CA so windex aint a gonna work on mine if its really stuck down good and is reasonably smooth then is covering over it out of the question?? hows about balsa rite to smooth it out??

I really like that flying beaver above. Bet he'd be mad if if you hosed him down with amonia, blasted him with a heat gun, scraped at him with a sharp knife, slobbered some modeling putty on him, then shrink wrapped over him. But it would be fun.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:46 PM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

The first question is...how bad do you really need to remove it? Granted, many of us enjoy the craftsman ship of a beautifully turned out plan but you mentioned that the plane had seen better days. If you are reworking a competition scale job it is a lot bigger deal than a fun scale bird that gets flown hard every chance you get. For a fun bird it may not matter. If you really want to remove the covering I would suggest Monocote solvent. It will take off those bits of adhesive that always seem to end up on your covering iron. If it is held on by glue you may do damage to the integrity of the glue joint by the time you get it off. As super flea notes a little filler and sandpaper does wonders. The other point about covering over old iron on covering is to make sure they are really clean. Get yourself some nitrile gloves and a little acetone and wipe down the plane to really get off the oils that may have seeped in to the covering. Unless you are going with a transparent covering material that will show every flaw underneath a clean, smooth surface will produce the best results whether you are painting or ironing on.