Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Adding flaps to a Twinstar????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Adding flaps to a Twinstar????

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:45 AM
birddoggo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding flaps to a Twinstar????

How will flaps affect a twin? and how will the propwash affect the flaps? on a Hobbico Twinstar, AND ON FINAL, IF YOU LOSE AN ENGINE WITH FLAPS DOWN, NOW WHAT????

Thanks,
Old 03-07-2008, 07:31 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Adding flaps to a Twinstar????

Same thing you would do in a real plane. Probably raise flaps and lower the nose. If you happen to have a higher end transmitter, you could probably practice single engine at a safe altitude and see what would happen.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:42 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Adding flaps and expecially flaperons to a Twin Star for the purpose of making slower approachs will only cause problems especially with the loss of an engine or in a single engine approach.

Many have increased the weight by using heavier engines than intended and modifing the nacelles for larger tanks and if this is the case the very best way to acheve a little more benign handling airplane is to reduce wing loading by increasing the wing span a few inchs or a bay.

John
Old 03-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The roll rate on the stock plane is pretty low to start with and you are cutting down the ailerons. I cut mine off and used 2" aileron stock with 1/4" tri-stock on the LE. Rolls pretty good, now.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:52 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello,

To answer your question about flaps on a twinstar you need to understand how it can adversly affect your approach. As a professional pilot we are very selective on when to use our flaps from approach (35%) to full (100%). We always use approach flaps coming in on final, actually on the downwind midfield, then drop the gear if you have retracts. Once we are slowed down to speed, under control, and we KNOW that we have the runway made, only then do we go full flaps! Hopefully your transmitter has a rheostat for flaps or a 3 position switch so you can select half and full flaps. If you lose an engine on final you have 2 things to worry about. 1 are you going to make the runway? 2 can you go around and fly single engine? If you come in with both engines and approach flaps, have a failure you should most of the time reduce your power to very minimum or idle and let it come in with approach flaps. If you have selected full flaps you will have a lot of drag and may not make the runway. Do not attemt to add power at this point. If you are below what we call vmc (minimum controllable airspeed) you will torque roll the airplane and lose all control because your airplane doesn't have enough speed to maintain controllability (airflow over the wings). Basically full flaps means your landing! Unless you are skilled and know how to fly single engine I absolutley would not recommend trying for the first time low to the ground on approach. Dont' worry about propwash or anything else, that won't matter. Just have you mind made up that when/if you have a failure you can use approach, and full flaps means your landing.