Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Receiver Question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Receiver Question

Old 03-30-2008, 05:06 PM
lippitdoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver Question

I bought a receiver on RC Universe and it was described as having a deans wire set up. I received it and it has had the antenna wire cut short and a electrical transistor looking device installed that has a hard wire coming out of it. I assume this can be installed exiting the fuselage. Does anyone know anything about this set up? Do they work? Does the antenna have to be outside of the fuslage?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:25 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Receiver Question

helicopter guys use them and have no problems that i know of. never seen one used on a plane. i have one on a JR receiver i bought from a helicopter guy in hopes of putting a regular antenna on it but i flew my eflite cap bp on it and didnt have problems. you could mount the hard part of the antenna on the outside of the plane. my cap is a profile so needless to say its on the outside. what ever you do range check it.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:29 PM
R/CBOONE72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they use em on jets sometime, they stick out the nose or top most of the time, I dunno the brand they use, they are longer then the deans whip antenna or the other black brand of whip antenna. I used to use em all the time on my helis, not a lick of trouble, they were inside canaopy, but thats a heli. Do a range check with motor on, and motor, off, if using 72mhz then leave antenbna down, go as far as you can, at least 25ft to be safe, AT LEAST. And on 2.4, JR anyways you push a button to weakon signal, then need 90 feet of good range at least. Do a motor off and a motor on test and see if it gets good range in fuse or stick out the top or somthing like that. Just try it.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:20 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will lose some range in nearly all cases where you shortend antenna. Fortunately, most of the good receivers have enough range so that we are still safe. If you really want the straight scoop on what changing antenna length does, check out RC-cam's web sight. He has done a lot of testing (with good equipment and techniques) on what changing antenna lengths can do to range. Just remember that range falls in half by every 3db loss and most of these short antennas lose at least 6 db or down to 1/4 normal range.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:30 AM
lippitdoo

Thanks for the responses. I thought I should just try it. Do the range check and go with it. It's good to get input from others so I feel less insane when I try it.

Thanks all of you.