Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Importance of thrust line!

Old 04-30-2003, 11:33 AM
rogwabbit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Importance of thrust line!

Hi,
I have a small delima.. I would like to know the importance of a thrust line on a .40 to .60 size airplane. I have a kit that explains where the thrust line is but I am unable to locate the engine mount to allow the engine to acheive this point. The closest I can come would be about 3/4" below the thrust line. Is that going to cause major problems? Could I simply shim the wings or the engine a little bit to compensate? Thanks in advance for the advice
Old 04-30-2003, 12:49 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For stand off scale and the average Sunday type flier the thrust line being off by 3/4 of an inch will not be a problem. If however you are dealing with an aerobatic aircraft or race type plane changing the thrust line could have negative results for top performance.
You are far better off not changing the thrust line at all. You do not indicate what airplane you have so it is a bit difficult to give you a clear idea what your best options are
Old 04-30-2003, 01:23 PM
rogwabbit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The airplane I have is a scratch built plane that I found plans to. The person that DESIGNED the plane died and was not able to finish the plane. It is similar to an Aresti in design. But I am unable to get the motormount at the exact location that would allow the engine to be centered on the thrust line. I looked at 45 degree and inverted mounts and no luck. The best option I see that will also lign up with the gas tank properly is about 3/4" belog the line. Will this cause major flight problems? I'd like to do average areobatics nothing competition style or anything.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:05 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If all you want to do is some basic aerobatics I would install the engine as you have indicated and enjoy the airplane. There are times that the power plant just doesn't match the front end Of the airplane. Sounds like a case in point.